C4 to t5 swap on carbed fox

jarryd2018

Established Member
I'm picking up an 86 mustang that has a carbed 302 in it with a c4 tranny. If I want to swap to a t5, do I need anything more than the tranny, clutch, cable, and pedal assembly? I don't know much about these older cars moving from dealing with modulars up until this point.

wesessiah

Established Member
you may need a driveshaft, i have no idea if the c4 uses a different length, as i went from aod to t5.
quadrant (make sure to get one with at least two hooks since the aftermarket ones can be a little funny. my steeda cable wouldn't work with the factory spot)
index plate (separator plate, starter plate, it's called all kinds of things)
pivot stud if the tranny doesn't have one
fork
reverse light harness
speedo gear
seems like i'm missing some stuff, but that's what i can come up with off the top of my head. of course things like shifter, inner dust boot, boot etc. the pedal assembly was the toughest for me to find, nobody seemed to have one and took me a few months to come across one on craigslist.

wesessiah

Established Member
Nothing I'd need if I had a donor car I was trading with though?

was your car originally an auto or t5 car? if it started as an auto then about the only difference i can think of is you'll have to run the speedo cable through another hole in the firewall and the clutch cable through the hole it was in... as long as it's the same as the later ones that is, i don't think i've had any apart older than 1990. you'll have to open up the shifter opening some to accomodate the shifter, but other than those two things i can't think of anything else if you're just doing a direct stock swap.

nelzsvt

Established Member
86 should have been fuel injected. Be careful, you're probably buying someone else' swap or conversion. Flywheel with proper balance. If it's a 5.0 ho motor you need flywheel with 50 oz.

jarryd2018

Established Member
86 should have been fuel injected. Be careful, you're probably buying someone else' swap or conversion. Flywheel with proper balance. If it's a 5.0 ho motor you need flywheel with 50 oz.

It is someone else's swap, I'm trading an engine for the whole car. I just want a 5 speed rather than a c4.

jarryd2018

Established Member
Car is actually an 85 after all so the carb is fine. Now I just need to find someone with a t5 that wants a c4.

Users who are viewing this thread