C250 v. 328i

61mmstang94

Established Member
Looking for a new daily driver soon. Have an F-150 right now and my gas bill will be going through the roof with how far I'll be driving. So I thought to myself, why am I spending so much at the pump? Would make more sense to put that towards a nicer vehicle and reduce that gas bill. Then I began thinking of a car that would meet three standards. First and foremost is 30+ miles per gallon since gas savings is the main intent. Second, it has to be nice. I'll be spending a lot of time in it so I'm not interested in a 1985 Civic just because it gets good mileage. And third, it has to fall within a price range that will be equal to or less than my current monthly expenditures of gas plus car payment.

My final two choices were narrowed down to the Mercedes C250 or a BMW 328i.

1) The C250 gets 31 miles per gallon hwy with a turbocharged 4-cylinder making a hair over 200-hp.
MercC250CDIdrive1.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-C250-coupe-interior.jpg

WDDGF4HB1CA618832-008_4x3.jpg

WDDGF4HB1CA618832-004_4x3.jpg

2) The 328i gets 34 miles per gallon hwy with a turbocharged 4-cylinder making around 240-hp.

2012_bmw_3-series_actf34_fd_1116111_717.jpg

2012-BMW-3-series-interior.jpg

The 328i has a slight edge in the gas mileage criteria and they're pretty similar in price depending on what options I choose. But I think I like the interior and exterior better on C250.

Anyone have experience with either? Either one have significantly worse mechanical or mantainence issues?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP do you have kids? I have fallen in love with the C250 coupe. If I had the cash I would get a C250 coupe and it would be my DD.

61mmstang94

Established Member
OP do you have kids? I have fallen in love with the C250 coupe. If I had the cash I would get a C250 coupe and it would be my DD.

No I don't, but possibly during ownership of either car I might. So I'd say in the future it would be a possibility.

I'm on the same boat about the C250. As many reviews have shown its a great priced car that has some great luxury, fit and finish.

But the BMW is also a refined car for a great price with similar attributes.

99GTvert

Established Member
In the high end car market I love the BMW's. Truly drivers cars. I am not saying that based on objective performance numbers, but just how they feel. They are so well balanced and everything feels like it "should." The steering has the perfect amount of weight to it (they have been getting more assisted lately though and I havent driven the new generation, so it might have changed.), the brake feel is perfect, even little things like adjusting the rear view mirror, it just feels right. Other brands, especially Audi, are so assisted and watered down you can turn the wheel with your pinky and have a more exponential brake feel to me.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
The new 328i is actually pretty quick for a 4-cylinder sedan. 0-60 in under 6 seconds with great gas mileage and better all around performance than the Benz. I agree with you on the interiors though, something about the interior layout in the Bimmer just bugs me.

phinhead34

Established Member
I just went through this same scenario. I thought MB all the way and then drove the BMW. What 99GTvert is exactly how I feel and couldnt be more accurate. I chose the Bimmer it truly is a drivers car imo. I got a 335i and they are amazing with just a JB4 80rwhp. I am happy with it. Drive them both back to back and see which one suits your needs the best.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Wow, that mileage sounds unbelieveably high.
Yup BMW went with a 8 speed on automatics.
The new 328i is actually pretty quick for a 4-cylinder sedan. 0-60 in under 6 seconds with great gas mileage and better all around performance than the Benz. I agree with you on the interiors though, something about the interior layout in the Bimmer just bugs me.
+1
I love my 335i. Test drove the C series before and felt great but the BMW felt more refined and in control. Felt like a better car overall and more comfortable.. The Mercedes looks nicer both interior and exterior but the BMW upgraded their interior really nicely. Exterior to me however was a downgrade.

If you get the BMW try to get the sport edition. The seats alone IMO make it worth it.

Vigilante375

Established Member
I would choose the 328i over the Benz. But if you want a nice, way cheaper car with hell of gas mileage then look at the Cruze. Guys with the ECO (manual) are seeing ~43 mpg on the highway. They are getting them under $20k and I drove one for about 2 months, an LTZ model and it would get somewhere in the low 30s in the city. I know its not a Benz or a 328i but it beats them in MPG and price by a long shot. Thats my 2 cents.

The 328i MPG sounds high since it has the same engine as my 135i and I'm only seeing 23 mpg with 50% city and 50% highway. But if it can do it then thats great.

61mmstang94

Established Member
I would choose the 328i over the Benz. But if you want a nice, way cheaper car with hell of gas mileage then look at the Cruze. Guys with the ECO (manual) are seeing ~43 mpg on the highway. They are getting them under $20k and I drove one for about 2 months, an LTZ model and it would get somewhere in the low 30s in the city. I know its not a Benz or a 328i but it beats them in MPG and price by a long shot. Thats my 2 cents.

The 328i MPG sounds high since it has the same engine as my 135i and I'm only seeing 23 mpg with 50% city and 50% highway. But if it can do it then thats great.

Well I guess it would depend on year and exact model. Wen you look up their fuel economy there is a difference between specific models...even some of the 335s get some in the upper 20s and some in the lower 30s.

Not to mention the 135 is listed at pretty much what you're getting for mixed driving. The 135 doesn't get as good as the 328 on mpgs. Might be the same engine but minor aspects plus the new transmission might be making the biggest difference?

The 2012 135 gets 28 hwy and 18 city.

The 2012 328 gets 34 hwy and 23 city.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Why care about fuel mileage if you throw that savings out the door with a more expensive car to own and maintain?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
why not look into a cheaper car with better gas mileage and use the rest for beer money?

does it have to be a premium brand? what about a fusion or MKZ?

taurus SHO? volvo S60 r design? mazdaspeed 6?

EDIT:just looked, you would save 5k on almost all of the above choices. those mercedes are expensive!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I thought the same thing at first. It's listed as such by BMW and here:
Gas Mileage of 2012 Vehicles by BMW
But I have no real world proof yet, but I'd imagine it should be close.

I realize what the manufacturer claims, but I would be interested to see some real world numbers. The only car I ever owned that got the gas mileage the manufacturer claimed was my C6 which consistenly got 31 - 32 mpg highway.

I would love a nice daily driver that got over 30 mpg. :beer:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I realize what the manufacturer claims, but I would be interested to see some real world numbers. The only car I ever owned that got the gas mileage the manufacturer claimed was my C6 which consistenly got 31 - 32 mpg highway.

I would love a nice daily driver that got over 30 mpg. :beer:

I have a 2000 323ci, 5 spd, and it gets 33-34 on the highway. I'd imagine an up to date version would easily get the same or better.

Vigilante375

Established Member
Well I guess it would depend on year and exact model. Wen you look up their fuel economy there is a difference between specific models...even some of the 335s get some in the upper 20s and some in the lower 30s.

Not to mention the 135 is listed at pretty much what you're getting for mixed driving. The 135 doesn't get as good as the 328 on mpgs. Might be the same engine but minor aspects plus the new transmission might be making the biggest difference?

The 2012 135 gets 28 hwy and 18 city.

The 2012 328 gets 34 hwy and 23 city.

I would think the heavier 328i wouldn't that better gas mileage but I guess the 8 speed auto does some strange magic. It has the N55 engine like my 135i but mine makes 300hp to the 240hp so that could be a factor. But cars are getting better mileage every few years.

The new Fusion is great on MPG too but I didn't like how they arranged the controls for the radio/AC. I think in the 2 weeks I drove it I only filled up once and I was driving about an hour to work each way on country roads going 60 mph. But if I had to choose between the Fusion and the Cruze, it would be the Cruze.

I'd say go test drive the Merc and BMW then test drive a Fusion and Cruze. BMW does come standard with the Ultimate Service plan (free maintenance) where you don't pay for oil changes/free wiper blades once a year/brake pads/rotors/etc....for 4 years/50,000 miles. The car tells you when a service is due, but the oil change only happens every 15k but depending on your driving style it'll adjust accordingly. But, the Cruze would be the most cost efficient investment with great MPG. In the end, its your choice. I wanted a Boss 302 but wasn't going to pay the ridiculous mark-ups in my area since I was on the market right when it was being released and bought the 135i instead.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I would think the heavier 328i wouldn't that better gas mileage but I guess the 8 speed auto does some strange magic. It has the N55 engine like my 135i but mine makes 300hp to the 240hp so that could be a factor. But cars are getting better mileage every few years.

The new Fusion is great on MPG too but I didn't like how they arranged the controls for the radio/AC. I think in the 2 weeks I drove it I only filled up once and I was driving about an hour to work each way on country roads going 60 mph. But if I had to choose between the Fusion and the Cruze, it would be the Cruze.

I'd say go test drive the Merc and BMW then test drive a Fusion and Cruze. BMW does come standard with the Ultimate Service plan (free maintenance) where you don't pay for oil changes/free wiper blades once a year/brake pads/rotors/etc....for 4 years/50,000 miles. The car tells you when a service is due, but the oil change only happens every 15k but depending on your driving style it'll adjust accordingly. But, the Cruze would be the most cost efficient investment with great MPG. In the end, its your choice. I wanted a Boss 302 but wasn't going to pay the ridiculous mark-ups in my area since I was on the market right when it was being released and bought the 135i instead.

For the money he's willing to spend, a 2013 Ford Fusion would be a much better comparison to the MB and BMW than the '10-12' Fusions/Milans/MKZ's.

OP- From that list, it's hard to say because there are things I like about each car from what I see. I say go drive both and get a feel for which one seems worth what they are asking for them.

Users who are viewing this thread