C16 tune?

svtmadman

Established Member
Should i put a tune in the 500 for C16? Would i have to make a pulley change? Or would i see an improvement on the same 4.0 pulley? If i do make a pulley change...what size? I want to be safe and not blow the bottom end out.

Thanks,
Shawn:beer:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
if it's tuned for the C16 you'll see gains

no need to do a pulley swap, however greater gains would be seen if you did

what blower do u have?

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Unless you have a turbo where you can change boost on the fly, i wouldn't do a c16 tune. Small gain since you are going back any forth on different types of fuel but staying on the same boost pulley. Go with a cheaper octane like 109 or convert to e85 and pay an average of $2.70 a gallon. You can advance timing on the same boost pulley and squeeze out a little more power. But if you plan to run c16 only then run a bigger pulley and run high boost all day.

red gt500

Established Member
c16 .. go for high boost and high timing
21 psi is safe for a stock short block with (c16)

svtmadman

Established Member
No cats, 3.6LC headers, gear, HE,Rad, CAI, Injectors, to name a few.

How much is E85 set up? I hear its expensive...what pulley do i need?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
to fully upgrade for E85 you're looking at new pumps, injectors and tune. my guess 3200-3500 up front

you could go as much as 24#s without trouble on E85

again "need" is not a good way to phrase it. you could go to a 3.25" - 3.375" be my guess if you have a stock size crank pulley (~24psi)

however if you have a stock short block - you're asking for trouble IMHO

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
well it depends on how much power/boost you want to run all the time and how many miles you'll drive the car a year

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
must better on the wallet to run e85 only everyday at the pump rather than finding someone with drums of c16 at $14-16 bucks a gallon (i think thats the going rate).

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Assuming you are wanting to run C16 at the track and regular on street? Swapping pulleys at the track and throwing a few gallons in the tank and uploading a tune for the night is not a big deal IMO. If you are stepping all the way up to C16 you should take full advantage of it by turning up the boost. C10 would be a great choice if only wanting to change the tune and keep the stock shortblock longer. With C16 you will need to change your oil after the end of the weekend/night and oxygen sensors will end up failing on you both due to the lead content contaminating both. It's best to buy a drum from VP on what ever one you choose then buy it from middle man to get bent over the barrel or worse yet bent over and sold the wrong stuff(failing tech and having to completely redo your fuel system because of cross contamination really results in a very very mad racer!!! From experience). Buying a barrel the price per gallon really isn't that bad at all compared to what shops charge is a huge difference.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html

Last edited:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Plus E85 has cooling effects to cylinder temps...

I'm planning to convert.... Once I can save up the cash

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
Assuming you are wanting to run C16 at the track and regular on street? Swapping pulleys at the track and throwing a few gallons in the tank and uploading a tune for the night is not a big deal IMO. If you are stepping all the way up to C16 you should take full advantage of it by turning up the boost. C10 would be a great choice if only wanting to change the tune and keep the stock shortblock longer. With C16 you will need to change your oil after the end of the weekend/night and oxygen sensors will end up failing on you both due to the lead content contaminating both. It's best to buy a drum from VP on what ever one you choose then buy it from middle man to get bent over the barrel or worse yet bent over and sold the wrong stuff(failing tech and having to completely redo your fuel system because of cross contamination really results in a very very mad racer!!! From experience). Buying a barrel the price per gallon really isn't that bad at all compared to what shops charge is a huge difference.

VP Drag Racing Fuels

I agree that running a C16 tune just for the track (as long as you stay away from huge boost numbers, i.e above 22lbs) is fairly safe and common on a stock block.

Running a C16 tune for the street would really be expensive!

Also...... I understand that C16 is hard on O2 sensors.....but why would you have to change the oil after "every" C16 track session/weekend?

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The corrosion that leaded fuel causes inside an engine is an issue. Changing oil often helps prolong but does not stop the corrosion from happening. It's hard on bearings, plugs, all surfaces it comes in contact with and the oil itself. It's harsh stuff. Remember fuel does not add HP unless it is oxygenated. High octane fuel only is HARDER to burn. That is why a person can get away with running more timing and cylinder pressure without the fuel burning when you don't want it to IE detonation. Street cars I recommend staying away from leaded gasoline. E85 I like but don't think it's the end all be all that's for sure also. It has it's issues also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread