C-SVT Short Shifter Installation/Anyone?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Sorry to keep making so many post's but I recently bought a short shifter for my 98 C-SVT..Ive got as far as getting the boot housing out, took off the reverse lock mechanism and took out the other 3 star type screws that hold the factory shifter in. So its really loose at this point, but I cant seem to get the darn thing out..Its still connected at that bushing to the upper right corner and I cant get it off..Anyone had any experience installing short shifters? Especially on an C-SVT? Do I have to take out the entire console or can I get the shifter out from the point I'm at? Ive never put in one of these, so I don't want to screw it up
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IIRC, there are 4 screws holding in it...but then again, its been almost 9 years since I did that.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
IIRC, there are 4 screws holding in it...but then again, its been almost 9 years since I did that.

I have the stock shifter out..Now I am just trying to figure out if I need to ake the black bushing/housing off the stock and put in on the short shifter..Im talking about the housing around the ball..

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Which one did you go with?

It one I found on ebay-Its made by a company called Ralco Performance..Looked for a B&M but had no luck..I like this one though..No problems..Shifts good..Gears are close together.much better than stock..was $70, I offered $40 and got it for $50 with shipping..Its nice for the price...

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
How did you get the ball on the end of the shifter off? Im having a heck of a time, can hardly see down in there. does it just ''pop'' out of the bushing? Im trying to swap on shifter with another, i want the nice B&M knob from my parts car vs the SPARCO on my Daily driver. I cant get the shift knob off so i will swap the whole thing, they are both B&M shifters.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
How did you get the ball on the end of the shifter off? Im having a heck of a time, can hardly see down in there. does it just ''pop'' out of the bushing? Im trying to swap on shifter with another, i want the nice B&M knob from my parts car vs the SPARCO on my Daily driver. I cant get the shift knob off so i will swap the whole thing, they are both B&M shifters.

It was actually pretty easy after I started..At first I was thinking WTF did I get into, but I just pulled out the whole middle console since there is just 2 screws in the back and 2 plastic clips up front that connect to the cup holders from the inside..Take that out and there is much more room...takes like a minute to remove the console...I had to remove the shifter from the upper bushing first(the upper arm I call it), then the lower up to the right corner then it took a minute to get the bottom ball out, but with some prying and tugging/pulling, I got it out..I dont have any other way of explaining that..I used a flat head screw driver to help pop it out.Takes a little effort to get it out though...after all that, you just have to take off the bushing around the big ball and put it on your new shifter..there should be a black rubber housing that just slides of and then the bushing is 2 parts that comes apart.I took the whole shifter out to make it easier for me...Pretty simple though after I was done..Takes about 30-45 minutes tops...I thought about making a video of it, but forgot all about when I started..;)

Humboldt5.0

Established Member
Cool, i will post before and after pics, thank you for the detail. I was worried about the hassle getting the center console out, seems like a lock.

Users who are viewing this thread