C&R Heat Exchanger issues

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Edit: Issue resolved

I have a 11 GT500 with a C&R heat exchanger and dual fans. Earlier in the spring I noticed the fans on the exchanger were not kicking on. Haven't driven the car much so this weekend Im trying to get it fixed.

I've gone over it and found that the fans work when hard wired, the intercooler pump is running fine, no blown fuses. The connectors at the fans have voltage but no current.

My only other guess would be the relays under the fuse box. Unfortunately I didn't install it so i also don't know what was wired which way and so on. Anyone had a similar situation?

Last edited:

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Possible bad relay in the C&R wiring harmess or more likely the ground has become corroded and doesnt complete the circut.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
He said the pump was working. Its either bad ground contact, bad relay, or the splice on the HE pump has lost connection.

Or both fans shit out at the same time... Highly unusual.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Like stated above, you're gonna have to trace the wiring for the fans and find out first if there area any ground faults. If not, it's likely going to be a relay failure.

Van@RevanRacing

OP check your grounding wires for the relay and the fans. The ground wires for the relays are grey and the ground wire for the fans are black.

We literally have thousands upon thousands of these relays in service and they rarely fail. In fact I've never had one fail that I am aware of.

Van

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Had one fan that didn't work when I installed mine due to a bad ground. Once I had a good spot they worked perfectly, still running like a champ two years later. Another reason to due your own install work, when you run into a problem you won't be playing where's waldo afterward trying to locate the issue.

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I feel the grounds are still good since the wires that connects to the fans still has voltage but no current. I'm going to pull the relays today and see if they work or not

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Found the connections after tracing everything. Just a bad ground for the relays. Working on relocating it now to a much more solid ground location and will post back in a few minutes

EDIT: Grounds are in a much better location now and everything is running smoothly as it should. Thanks for the tips guys!

Last edited:

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Many times when a ground is corroded or not secured you will read voltage but not amperage because the circut isnt complete but the power is still available. Learned that lesson the hard way chasing engine anomolys on F-16s.

Users who are viewing this thread