C&L is developing a meter kit just for Mach 1s

CMcCarthy

Established Member
Well, since C&L is right here in town, I went down there today to see about getting them to develop a Mach 1 kit.

Lee Bender, the owner, is quite personable, and was very eager to take on the project. I told him that my main concern was maintaining the functionality of the shaker, as well as my obvious interest in increasing the engine's output.

He started by taking a standard filter shroud from one of his 4.6 kits and cutting the teardrop shaped hole in it for the shaker ductwork. Then he began measuring it to see what changes were going to be necessary to achieve a good fit. It looks like an entirely new shroud is going to be required, so he is going to have one prototyped this week and I'm going back down for a test fit when he gets the part back.

Additionally, he is currently working on a cast aluminum inlet pipe to go between the TB and MAF. He currently makes them for everything except the 99-up 4v cars, but one is in the works and should hit shelves soon. It will fit the 99-01 Cobra as well as the Mach 1.

I'll be adding more to this post as development progresses, so stay tuned.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Well Cheryl & Lee (C&L) are good folks but i strongly dont believe the HP Advertised will be seen on all cars :nono:

Also the Weight alone of the MAF is very large & to add a Cast Aluminum Elbow :eek: (Note the Cast Aluminum does not mean its Light).

Threory on why the C&L might not gain as much is the main fact that the open Filter will net most of the HP & TQ. Its not the bigger MAF at all. Plus since the Mach1 is N/A car ur not maxing out the Voltage of the MAF Sending Unit at all.

If i owned a MACH1....i just spend my money on the PHP Kit which is a very nice unit & the shield is made very nicely. Plus the K&N Filter it comes with is Open Ended so u can take out the Headlight if u go to the track.

ITS NOT THE MAF thats getting u the POWER :nono:

CMcCarthy

Established Member
It's worth noting that the PHP kit costs more than the C&L kit.

It's also worth noting that I picked up 12 RWHP on my 99 GT with a C&L. I fully intend to take my car to the dyno and baseline it before the C&L, and then install it and dyno again (same day). Hell, I might even dyno it with the snorkel in and out to see what that does.

CMcCarthy

Established Member
Also, if you're concerned about weight, you need to know something... the PHP kit is made out of STEEL. How much you figure that little jewel tips the scales at?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
O.K. :rolleyes: i have no problem in u pushing a product :thumbsup:

But the fact remains that i can get 12rwhp & 12rwtq with just my silencer removed & a K&N drop in :shrug:

So ur facts is un-called for.

Any time u change out the factory air box u will gain power. Weather it be via the PHP or a Filter Drop in or Even a C&L Kit.

How much is Lee planning on selling the kil for? I remember on my GT its was around 220.00 or so....which falls right into the PHP Kit price.

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Just Info

I'm not joining this little pissing match, but just wanted to clarify the cost of the PHP kit...

It is $220, not $300 as most people think...

Please continue...:bash:

CMcCarthy

Established Member
I have no intention of causing a pissing match. There's more than enough "C&L sucks, Pro-M rules" and vice versa on the Corral.

I Had no intention here but to let you know that I am doing my best at getting an aftermarket product geared towards our car up and rolling, as opposed to sitting on my ass and throwing rotten tomatoes like others seem to enjoy doing.

I don't sell C&L, or anything else for that matter. I don't work for Lee, and yesterday was the first time I've ever spoken to him. I have had excellent luck in the past with C&L, and as I said I intend to test all of this stuff on the dyno and post my results. Since Poisonous Mods has now raised my curiosity, I intend to take a drop-in K&N with me and test that too. I will post all of my findings, regardless of how good or bad they are. My current testing regiment will be:

1. stock
2. snorkel removed
3. K&N drop-in with no snorkel
4. C&L kit
5. C&L kit with aluminum elbow

I guess we'll see then. No speculation, no made up numbers, no BS. Only facts, for better or worse.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Dude forget what LB said. Its not a pissing match or any thing in that sort.

This is a discussion & nothing more :thumsup:

I wouldnt know about Cheryl & Lee had i now bought the products they offer. There Filters are fairly big & if maybe u can Suggest to Lee about an Open Ended Filter im sure he can do that :shrug: All Mustangs can take advantage of it at the track ;-)

BTW the PHP Kit was not heavy at all. Dont think they are using steel but just a different type of aluminum?

Well im sure the Mach1 Fella's could appreciate ur effort in doing such a task & im very interested in seeing what numbers can be gained as well ;-). I havent seen any one else willing to do what u have so its all good.

:beer: :beer:

Zate

Established Member
12 HP with snorkel and K&N ?.. on a mach1 or Cobra?.. cos iam callin BS if your claiming that on a mach1.

i for one welcome another intake kit for the mach1.. personaly i think the PHP kit is WAY over priced for what it gives you.. and when i buy a kit,.. i want it to go from the TB to the shaker.. in total.. and make good use of the air coming in from the shaker.

I know the shaker works.. cos thats the dirtiest side of my K&N.. but i want a sealed TB to shaker induction kit with MAF.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Zate
12 HP with snorkel and K&N ?.. on a mach1 or Cobra?.. cos iam callin BS if your claiming that on a mach1.

i for one welcome another intake kit for the mach1.. personaly i think the PHP kit is WAY over priced for what it gives you.. and when i buy a kit,.. i want it to go from the TB to the shaker.. in total.. and make good use of the air coming in from the shaker.

I know the shaker works.. cos thats the dirtiest side of my K&N.. but i want a sealed TB to shaker induction kit with MAF.
:eek: Hum no mods around on this part of the forum. :idea: Nah.

225.00 is over priced? Plus the PHP has an Open Ended Filter :shrug: C&L last i recall never offered it Plus the Price of the Unit :dw: 225.00 or if not more.

If u want to arguee just start a thread at the Smack Down Forum but dont call me a B.S. when ur the one who is stinking like shit.

Get ur fact first bro. :smmon:

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Originally posted by CMcCarthy
Guys, don't jack my thread and get it locked. Take it somewhere else.
I think that is just what P Moddy suggested...take it somewhere else...:shrug:

Zate

Established Member
chill out mods.. i was just saying that i dont believe 12 HP and 12 Tq from just the silencer and filter.

feel free to post a dyno chart taken on th same day to prove me wrong though ;)

i can quantify the gains i got from my exhaust..i dynoed befopre and after each mod.. all i am asking is if you have done the same.. its all well and good to say you got 12.. but i dont think thats possible.

and keep your cool dude.i am not attacking you personally.. just disagreeing with what you say.

this is america right ?.. i'm allowed to do that ?.. i know i am back home in australia...

Users who are viewing this thread