C&L CAI: What the hell is the difference?

cheetah25291

Established Member
Hey guys.
So Im currently looking for an intake for my 2014 Mustang 5.0 and I came across the C&L cold air intakes. As far as the construction of the intake goes it looks like its high quality and well designed. However, I came along something strange. These are the C&L Intakes that American Muscle offers for my model GT:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-intake-2011gt-notune.html
and
http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-cai-13gt-tune.html

So the first intake claims 45% increased airflow and 12 hp gain WITHOUT a tune. This is because the first one comes with a "no tune insert" which keeps the diameter of the MAF housing the same as stock which therefore doesnt require it to be tuned.
The second intake claims 47% increased airflow and 28 hp gain WITH a tune. This one comes without the insert.
If you notice, the price is $400 vs $430, and the more expensive one is the one that does NOT include the extra part that allows you to run the intake without a tune. This confused me and probably a lot of you also. To me it almost seems like C&L was trying to fool people into buying the more expensive one that didnt have the extra part because they claimed more hp. Are they essentially exactly the same intake??

Also, what kind of reputation do these have vs the JLT and Steeda CAI?

Thank you for the help in advanced guys!
-Shah

Rdrcr

Established Member
^^^^
I don't have any experience with the C&L intake but, I'm assuming they are claiming that their intake will make 12HP with the insert and 'factory' tune and 28HP with a 'custom' tune and the insert removed. It's hard to say if their claims are accurate but, it makes sense that the intake without the insert flows more air. Can't comment on the price difference? Who knows?

Mike

Last edited:

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Sorry to tell you but I don't think they're in business anymore. If you scroll down it says that the intakes are not being produced anymore . But I have one of the tune required intakes and I like it. Its better than jlt especially the plastic jlt.

Users who are viewing this thread