C-17 crash near Elmendorf AFB, AK.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Incredibly sad news for their families, friends and Wing. RIP brothers.

CNN) -- All four airmen on board an Air Force C-17 were killed when the cargo plane crashed during a training mission near Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska on Wednesday, the Air Force reported Thursday. The names were being withheld, pending notification of next of kin.
The aircraft, assigned to the 3rd Wing at the base, crashed about 6:14 p.m. local time, Air Force Capt. Uriah Orland said.

In a statement Thursday, 3rd Wing commander Col. John McMullen said, "Our deepest sympathy and sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends of those airmen killed in this crash. Yesterday, we lost four members of our Arctic Warrior family and it's a loss felt across our entire joint installation. Right now, our immediate focus is on providing all possible support to the loved ones of our fallen aviators. We are also engaged in a deliberate investigative process."

Gov. Sean Parnell issued a statement expressing his sympathy for the crash victims.
"Alaskans are very connected to the military and our thoughts and prayers are with Alaska's Air Force family," Parnell said.
A board of officers will investigate the accident, Orland said.

Military plane crashes on training mission in Alaska, killing 4 airmen - CNN.com

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
With a heavy heart that I send my condolences to those who know these patriots.

motorider228

Established Member
From an aircraft maintainer, I really hope this wasn't the cause of poor maintenance practices.

RIP Brothers, you will be missed.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
From an aircraft maintainer, I really hope this wasn't the cause of poor maintenance practices.

RIP Brothers, you will be missed.

Yeah, I'm in maintenance as well. I work with a jet guy that was at Dover when their pilots short landed that C-5. He told me you could have heard a pin drop on the line after they crashed. Nobody died on that crash though.

Heck, I was TDY at Eglin when the 2 F-15's collided and one pilot passed away. It was rough hearing that there was a collision, terrible when we heard the sad news.

I'm curious to see what the crash investigation team will uncover as the cause.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
pretty sure that was the first C-17 mishap resulting in fatalities - It'll be interesting to hear what the cause was - - it's a very solid airframe and still fairly new to the AF fleet

Users who are viewing this thread