bypass valve question????

STROKED331

Established Member
i'm runnin a vortech t-trim 10psi on my 331 stroker. the problem i keep having is when i get it up to boost, 8psi or so, the inlet tube blows off :cuss: were it connects to the head unit. i know a bypass valve will help remedy this, but i'm lookin for some input on what is the best and easiest bp valve to install.

thanks in advance

5.4 speedster

Banned
I keep blowing my tube as well. I am 11lbs. I do have a blow off valve but then again my clamps are the weak scre type. Is it more likely that it's the clamps instead of my BOV?

ravage

The Prick's on the Inside
Established Member
I run 20lbs out of my T-trim with that litte black plastic bypass valve and never had an issue. I know I need to step up to a Mondo and you should too if you plan to run more boost. (Which you should w/ that T-trim.) Or just torque the hell out of it!

STROKED331

Established Member
thanks for the input stoked. i was pretty sure the answer would be the mondo, but i'll also change the clamps. i also was wondering how that flat side on the mondo fits, without leaking air, to the rounded inlet pipe. i know they have the bypass kits that come with a pre-drilled and tapped pipe but thats an extree 2hundred bucks.

STROKED331

Established Member
ravage

i agree (more boost) that's the plan i just have to get the inlet pipe problem worked out first. 20psi! love that sound. how often do you blow your head gaskets?!

Last edited:

ravage

The Prick's on the Inside
Established Member
I've only blown them once about two years ago. Since then I've backed the timing off and have had no problems. (Fingers crossed)

Udet

SNKEYES
Established Member
Had this happen at least 6 times before I got some good T-clamps to solve the issue. I ran the bosch 114 bypass and still blew the intake tube off (until I swapped out for those t-clamps)

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
You can get the flanges from vortech. The cheap and easy way is to cut a hole in the discharge pipe the same size as the flange you buy from vortech. Next you get a piece of tubing the same size as the inside of the flange. Take the pipe and flange and weld them togther. Take that piece and weld it to the hole you cut on the discharge tube that matches the pipe size and you now have a mount for the mondo.

Now if you want to get trick, like what I did, is you can have the flange put on a mil and mil the backside of the flange to follow the same shape as the pipe you are welding it on. I think it is a radius cut or something, can't remember. You can only do this if the flange is pretty meaty and thick like mine was. I am pretty sure they have not changed them at all.

I know this is not a mondo, but I am running two of these units on my setup with a huge custom air-air intercooler.

This is the custom way to flush mount the bypass with a mil and a very good tig welder.

P1000090.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread