bypass valve problem on Steggy 4

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Just got my steggy 4 installed and it's not making the power it should. Only picked up 33 rwhp with it and Accufab TB/plenum and 60's. It seems that the bypass valve is not opening. Could this be the reason i'm not picking up more power?

Last edited by a moderator:

99S_V_T

Established Member
Im no expert on posi blowers but why would the bypass valve not opening, which releases boost presure, cause u to not make power? I mean it releases air right? U sure its not stuck open? Wat boost are u seeing?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah. If the bypass wasn't opening you wouldn't be losing any power. But your part throttle would suck. Check to make sure it's closing all the way.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Seeing 15.3 pounds so that's about right for the setup. Swapping the bypass from my stock SC tomorrow so we'll see if that's the problem. Figure if it's not opening then it's possible it's not making a good seal too.

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
The state of rest for the valve is closed - same as in boost mode. With vaccum it's open. There should be a small amount of preload in it's state of rest, so it closes completely. I think preload is .125". You can check that before you swap the valve.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
There is one other thing concerning me. One of the two bolts that holds the bypass mechanism on the outside of the blower broke off. The shop seems to think that it should be fine with just the one bolt holding it on. Do you thing that's OK or could that cause some play in the valve???

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
If it's holding the valve closed with tension (preload) at rest state, it should ok. But you may have found the problem with only one mounting screw holding it on - not allowing it to keep the preload.

Did you just put the 60s on it? And your tune checked out? What did you have for timing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread