Buzzing in 1st gear (and new member intro)

Albert SVT

Established Member
First off, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a proud new owner of a silver '04 Cobra. My other car is an '04 DSG Lightning. The Cobra is brand new with about 20 miles clocked, but I've noticed a buzzing in first gear under load. The buzzing sounds like it eminates from behind the radio, not from the floor. I can't tell if it's the flywheel, clutch, or the shifter. Any ideas what this might be?

Albert SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
something loose? you aren't giving much detail.

I only hear the sound in first gear. 2nd gear and so forth, there's no noise. It's definitely a mechanical rattle/buzz, not a loose interior piece.

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
This might sound liek a dumb question but does it have a aftermarket shifter in it? When I bought my car and it had a steeda shifter with the stock handle. I decided to put the steeda handle on it yesterday and drove it around a bit. It shifted great but the tranny sounded like it had over a 100k miles on it. Without any rubber bushings I could hear everything.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I get a buzzing sound from my e-brake handle in first gear sometimes.

BTW congrats on your new '04 and welcome.

Last edited:

Albert SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check the e-brake handle.

I'm pretty sure it's a stock shifter. Feels the same as another '04 I test drove before purchasing my car.

I'll have to keep driving it around to see if I can be a little more specific with the description of the sound. I drove it again late last night and take back what I said about the buzzing only happening in 1st gear. It's more related to low rpms, as I also heard the buzz in 2nd gear once or twice. The buzz almost sounds like something you would expect out of driving a diesel bus. I'll try to post a sound byte if I can.

FelonyRuckus

Established Member
When does the sound finally disapate in first, what RPMs? Or does it only go away when you upshift? But, you said you heard it in 2nd as well?

Users who are viewing this thread