Buzzing/Humming Headlights

rancid

Established Member
Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I am installing a 5ch amp in my Shelby along with upgraded Hertz speakers and finally got everything ready to go the other day and went to turn the car on and the battery was dead (shame on me for believing my friend when he said he disconnected it.)

I put a battery charger on it and I didn't flick the switch to the correct position and had it on manual which overcharged the battery. I went up to Ford and got a replacement battery and all is well except now my headlights (both sides) are emitting a buzzing type sound directly at the harness in the back of the HID. It starts out audible enough to where you can hear it with the car off and gradually gets less and less until you can barely hear it unless you put your ear up to the light. I disconnected the ground and power wires going into the amp so I ruled that out already and the only other thing hooked up was a rear backup camera and a lockpick but there was no buzzing when I checked it (that I remember.) I am wondering if maybe it fried or damaged the light relay.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or know of anything to check? I did not touch any factory harnesses outside of the Shaker 500 one and ran all new wires so I'm not sure why this would have happened all of sudden unless it always has and I am just now noticing.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
No problems here, but I didn't wire. If I would have done the wiring I can assure you I would have more than a small whine at headlights.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I am installing a 5ch amp in my Shelby along with upgraded Hertz speakers and finally got everything ready to go the other day and went to turn the car on and the battery was dead (shame on me for believing my friend when he said he disconnected it.)

I put a battery charger on it and I didn't flick the switch to the correct position and had it on manual which overcharged the battery. I went up to Ford and got a replacement battery and all is well except now my headlights (both sides) are emitting a buzzing type sound directly at the harness in the back of the HID. It starts out audible enough to where you can hear it with the car off and gradually gets less and less until you can barely hear it unless you put your ear up to the light. I disconnected the ground and power wires going into the amp so I ruled that out already and the only other thing hooked up was a rear backup camera and a lockpick but there was no buzzing when I checked it (that I remember.) I am wondering if maybe it fried or damaged the light relay.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or know of anything to check? I did not touch any factory harnesses outside of the Shaker 500 one and ran all new wires so I'm not sure why this would have happened all of sudden unless it always has and I am just now noticing.

Thanks for any help.

I know that both my 2013 Coupe GT500 and my sisters 2012 Convertible GT500 have a buzzing noise that occurs when you turn on the HID's.

You can faintly hear it if you listen.

[youtube_browser]s5kWcI2-0hE[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
I believe the buzz is caused by the ballasts for the HIDS. My Acura does the same thing.

rancid

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I was really starting to freak myself out but I think this is normal behavior. When the HIDS first come on you can hear it and then it gradually gets to where you cannot unless you put your ear up to the headlights. I was going to ask if someone could flick theirs on for me and just verify for sanity sake.

I am mainly only worried because the battery that was overvolted started to melt on the negative battery terminal and the lights were set to automatic and came on until I forced the battery lead off. Nothing else electrical seems to be wrong so I am probably worrying over nothing but I honestly do not remember these ever buzzing/humming until this happened.

**Edit - Just listened to your video Ninja, this is EXACTLY what mine started doing and sounds identical. Have you figured out why they do this or is this just normal behavior and I never noticed? :)**

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I was really starting to freak myself out but I think this is normal behavior. When the HIDS first come on you can hear it and then it gradually gets to where you cannot unless you put your ear up to the headlights. I was going to ask if someone could flick theirs on for me and just verify for sanity sake.

I am mainly only worried because the battery that was overvolted started to melt on the negative battery terminal and the lights were set to automatic and came on until I forced the battery lead off. Nothing else electrical seems to be wrong so I am probably worrying over nothing but I honestly do not remember these ever buzzing/humming until this happened.

**Edit - Just listened to your video Ninja, this is EXACTLY what mine started doing and sounds identical. Have you figured out why they do this or is this just normal behavior and I never noticed? :)**

Well I'm not certain but I believe my Camaro does the same thing but I know every Mustang with HID's I have ever came across has had this sound when the HID's are on. I think it's just normal behaviour with HID Bulbs, I know it's normal for the Mustangs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread