Buying wife new car. Need help

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Wife has narrowed it down to the Audi Q5, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota Highlander.

She has sat in all Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, Jeep, Honda SUVs. These are the only 3 she felt comfortable in.

She really likes the Jeep Grand Cherokee but reading reviews on it the new 8 speed transmission seems to have a lot of issues. Don't feel like dropping 40k plus only to have issues.

Second choice is the Audi Q5. Downfall is takes premium and insurance cost more.

Third is the Toyota Highlander. Not as much wow factor I guess you say as Audi and Jeep. But Toyota known for its reliability.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Tough choice. Both the Q5 and the GC are excellent vehicles.

Have you looked at buying the GC with the 3.0 turbodiesel? It's supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway. Also, the GC has a ton of legroom in the backseats if that's a factor.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Tough choice. Both the Q5 and the GC are excellent vehicles.

Have you looked at buying the GC with the 3.0 turbodiesel? It's supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway. Also, the GC has a ton of legroom in the backseats if that's a factor.

we talked about diesel briefly but not going that route do yo upfront extra cost and diesel costing more per gallon. Plus she wants to keep price around the 40k. Jeep was close to 50 I think with diesel.
Jeep definitely felt like it had more room. Was a simpler dash layout as well compared to Audi.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
My dad has the 14 Durango R/T with the 8 speed and loves it.

ThomasL

Established Member
I'd personally go with the Toyota out of those 3. And for the reasons you listed as well.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I am currently looking at the A5 as well. The Cherokee got not so good safety reviews if I'm not mistaken. Also test drive the Highlander if you haven't already. I had a 4runner and sold it because it was the bumpiest ride I've ever seen.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I am currently looking at the A5 as well. The Cherokee got not so good safety reviews if I'm not mistaken. Also test drive the Highlander if you haven't already. I had a 4runner and sold it because it was the bumpiest ride I've ever seen.

She drove both and liked the highlander better because of ride quality.

Any other cars she should test drive? Last one she will test next weekend is the Volvo xc60 and 70.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You should be able to get deep discounts on the gc. Try truecar.Com price the one you want and search for it. If you're worried about Tran my get the extra warranty.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
You should be able to get deep discounts on the gc. Try truecar.Com price the one you want and search for it. If you're worried about Tran my get the extra warranty.

Yeah dealership said they really don't discount Grand Cherokee's, but never really sat down and said show me numbers yet.
Not so worried about extended warranty. Transmission are breaking after a few weeks of ownership, some with as few as 500 miles. That's just reviews I've read on edmunds.com.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I'd personally go with the Toyota out of those 3. And for the reasons you listed as well.

This. My sister in law bought one new 5 or 6 years ago, never had an issue outside of oil changes, tires, and brakes. I compared the ride to my aunts Lexus RX330 and they were pretty close.

Sick SVT

Established Member
My wife had a highlander and loved it. Now she has a ford edge and likes it also. She wants her next car to be the Acura MDX. She drove one and really liked it more than the edge

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Yeah dealership said they really don't discount Grand Cherokee's, but never really sat down and said show me numbers yet.

I am always seeing 3-5k in discounts on the gc in the summer. The rebates are not here yet but will be soon. In my area truecar is listing 3k off of msrp which is 1300 below invoice on a 40.5k msrp. Of course in your area its only showing an 1k off. In mobile its showing 1800 off, and in houston its showing 2.5k off.

My first choice would be the q5 then the gc. I have never been a fan of Toyota.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
We had an MDX & loved it!no problems at all!!also had GC it was in the shop a lot,2 sets of heads,leak up the&$)()$ brakes & this was just the first year & 5000 miles! but they can tow 7500# so may look at them again for towing cobra.....but wife won't do it again!!

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
the 3.6 is one of the worst engines out there prior to 2014. we do cyl heads on those every day. they extended the warranty on the left head to 10/150k. we have some vans that have had 5 heads on the left bank. the 2014 3.6 still has head problems and a cyl head is on back order through DEC. we do see a lot of issues with the 8spd, input and output shaft issues.

the only issues with the hemi's (other than lack of power) is when overheated they drop a valve seat and eat a head and piston.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Definitley check out the Volvos. XC60 if you have no use for the third row or seats. We have a xc70. It's been a good car, only real downside is premium for the 5cyl turbo. Oh and it sucks for highway passing. Power is fine around town, but going from 60-80 it is snail slow.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Definitley check out the Volvos. XC60 if you have no use for the third row or seats. We have a xc70. It's been a good car, only real downside is premium for the 5cyl turbo. Oh and it sucks for highway passing. Power is fine around town, but going from 60-80 it is snail slow.

No need for third row seat as it's just us two. Will be checking them out next weekend. Very good mpg and in same price range as other cars we are looking at.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I have not had any experience with any of those vehicles but from reading your post the highlander seems like the logical choice.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
MB was that the 5.7, or the 290hp 3.6?

I have 39k miles on my 3.6 12 jk rubi 6sp man and it has not been to the shop once.

My jeep was a 2000 V8,it ended up in the ocean! Haha my MDX was 2006 ( should have kept it) now we have on 09 accord no problems just looking to get Back in a mid size SUV.

Users who are viewing this thread