Buying Truck..Need Opinions

SVTowner2B

Established Member
I'm looking at a few different trucks and I'm not sure what way to go..
Option 1
I can get an 02 with a chip, tune, exhaust, 8lb pulley, AEM intake, and 20" wheels(I'd rather have the stock wheels), that is supposedly making 426 HP at the wheels
Its blue and has 56k on it. Waiting on Pics, supposedly mint.

Option 2
2001 Red with 58k, completely stock, this truck is mint.

Option 3
2002 Silver with 43k, only mod is Flowmasters, Also mint.

The prices on all of the trucks are close.
I like the idea of having some mods already, but I'm not sure I will care for the wheels and I'm scared a modded truck will be beat on.

the other two are pretty much stock and i'm kinda leaning towards the silver truck, but of course it's the farthest away.

Since I'm new to lightnings (had 6 mustangs) i would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me, such as any difference between 01 and 02, are their certain things I should look out for (areas prone to rust etc..) and any other helpful info.

Also if I go with one of the stock trucks what are the best mods to start with and how much do they cost?
Thanks in advance everyone:beer:

SVTowner2B

Established Member
also when comparing the two stock trucks will the silver hold any advantage over red from a resale standpoint?

600RRgoal

Established Member
Personally, I'd go for an unmodified truck, or one that has only a few bolt-ons. Aftermarket pullys were a no-no when I was shopping for mine - would just like to see the engine untouched than run into suprises later on.

As far as color, I would've bought any color BUT silver (I just don't like silver vehicles in general). With that said, I'd only be looking at the red one! But if you like silver, go for it.

Edit: I don't recall any differences between 01-02.

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
The silver one is easier maintainance if you are going to DD it. Depending on price, I would go with the silver one because of less mileage.

Pics of both L's when you get a chance.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
I myself bought a moded L with a 4lb and after one week of having it i threw a rod. I was able to get the dealer to buy me a reman. :banana:

Oh and i got a silver one it's not my color of choice but i live downtown seattle and gotta park on the street.. so it hide's a lot of the bumper car crap that goes along with living in the city.

SVTowner2B

Established Member
I'm glad you guys mentioned the silver being easier to maintain. I plan to drive the truck so that's a great point.
Honestly silver is probably my favorite color other than black, but I am so tired of trying to keep black cars clean. Silver looks so clean with a nice tint job to match

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I'm glad you guys mentioned the silver being easier to maintain. I plan to drive the truck so that's a great point.
Honestly silver is probably my favorite color other than black, but I am so tired of trying to keep black cars clean. Silver looks so clean with a nice tint job to match

Yes it does :thumbsup:

I DD mine and its my only vehicle. It rains a few times a week and it looks like (from far) clean :lol1:

SvtRacing

Established Member
My favorite color is the blue, but from experience it is a bitch to keep clean. If i could choose the color it would be silver w/ chrome wheels they are sharp. If you get one stock the first couple mods would be NGK TR-6 Plugs, CAI, Handheld tuner or custom tune, #6 lb crank pulley, exhaust. Just with those mods your looking at about $2000 give or take a few. How much they want for the trucks?

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Yeah, I'd go with the Silver one too... def stay away from the one with the 8lb lower, thats disaster waiting to happen. The 01s also had some faulty trans' its been said.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
IMO all colors looked dirty when dirty.....

Pick the color you want the most. So what if you can't find one at this moment Getting exactly what you want is worth the wait.

Last edited:

lvgolfer962

Established Member
im with banshee, u need to get a color that you are going to be happy with. dont settle for one because its closer or a little cheaper. i put over 3k on mine driving it back from the dealer i bought it from.

Users who are viewing this thread