Buying the R

boogie

Established Member
Well I went down and looked at a '95 R and after walking countless circles around the car and a short drive, we agreed on a price and plan on picking it up this weekend.

The car is suppose to be factory stock (only change is tires). It is an early car (one of the first 50 produced).

I know the basics about the R, but have a couple of Newbie R questions:

1. The owner says the car has blisteins, not Koni's for shocks. Everywhere I read it lists Koni's as the shocks. Anyone hear of this?

2. To purchase the car, the dealership required a cage be installed (something about complying to SCCA rules). He did say that not all dealerships did that. Anyone hear of that?

3. I noticed that the passenger side foglights feeds air into the air cleaner...never saw or heard of that before. Anyone else?

Anything else that I should look for (probably should have asked this question before I went down).

thanks! :burnout:

95rcobra

1) He might think they are Bilsteins because they are yellow. actually the 95R came with the Yellow sport adjustable Koni's.

2) You only needed a SCCA license to buy a Cobra R in 1995.

3) probably just a custom setup for airflow. the stock setup has the silencer still in place.

Good luck with the 95R. post some pics when you get it.

Later,95rcobra.

---------------------
1995 Cobra R model #185
2003 Redfire Cobra coupe #????.

boogie

Established Member
1. He didn't have the adjuster knob right there (packed away) and he has never adjusted the shocks...so, I'll be able to check that in more detail when I go down.

2. Sounds like the dealer was trying to get a little more money out of him..not that it bothers me too much as I personally like the roll cage.

3. It does have the stock air cleaner...I'm going to have to crawl underneath to see where that ducting goes.

thanks.

Andy M

Established Member
Best of luck with your "R" purchase. I don't own a 95 R, but you have come to the right place, as there are a few 95R owners here who can steer you in the right direction.

If this car is for real?, and you end up with it? Congrats! You will own one of the coolest cars in the world!:D

Just do us a favor?? Don't let it sit inside the garage! Drive the thing!! Preferrably on the track every now and then!!!!

Good luck!!

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by boogie
1. He didn't have the adjuster knob right there (packed away) and he has never adjusted the shocks...so, I'll be able to check that in more detail when I go down.

2. Sounds like the dealer was trying to get a little more money out of him..not that it bothers me too much as I personally like the roll cage.

3. It does have the stock air cleaner...I'm going to have to crawl underneath to see where that ducting goes.

thanks.

1. Mine had 4 adjuster knobs (glovebox?).

2. I wish my "R" had a dealer installed roll cage (jealous). Nothing but a plus.

3. Must be custom air inlet. Another plus. These cars weren't meant to remain stock anyway.

4. The '95s were just a platform to build on.

5. A professional licence was required. Most of them were SCCA, but I heard of two that were for NHRA drag racing.

6. Have fun and enjoy DRIVING IT.

boogie

Established Member
Well I definitely plan on driving it! I already have plans for a Mid America Motorplex event that our club is putting on and a trip up to the Northwoods RA event.

It's still doesn't feel real to me...this car was on my top 10 list of cars I would like to own someday. I'm looking forward to about 3 hours of 'bonding' time when I bring it home!

:rolling:

R-CODE

Established Member
95 R

Good Luck ! How many miles on the car? And what # is it? Don't forget to post some pics.

LEO C. 93 R #71 DETROIT, MICHIGAN

Cobra-R

Established Member
Well I definitely plan on driving it! I already have plans for a Mid America Motorplex event that our club is putting on and a trip up to the Northwoods RA event.

It's still doesn't feel real to me...this car was on my top 10 list of cars I would like to own someday. I'm looking forward to about 3 hours of 'bonding' time when I bring it home!

Damn, I just saw you are from Iowa. :beer: I will be at Mid America with my 95R next weekend if you are interested in taking a jaunt over. (bring your helmet)

Brian

Andy M

Established Member

Boogie:

Three hours ain't gonna cut it man!:nonono: Once you feel all that torque under the pressure of you right foot, you'll be hooked!

Congrats man!

By the way, you will love MidAmerica Motorplex. We did an SCMC event there in October and had a blast. Only thing is... it is VERY hard on tires - right Brian? :( :lol: :lol: :bash: Brian, myself, and Kevin each corded at least one Hoosier tire on each of our respective cars. We sure had fun doing it though!!

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Brian, myself, and Kevin each corded at least one Hoosier tire on each of our respective cars. We sure had fun doing it though!!

My total corded tires for the weekend was a stellar 0.

Wonder what you guys were doing wrong :D

boogie

Established Member
Well I drove home #32 yesterday. No air, No radio, harsh 3.5 hour drive, let me sum up my feelings.......................

:coolman: :rolling: :burnout: :D

oh yeah.....doesn't suck!

All the way home I was just looking for people to pass!

Now if I were going to do some mods, what would be the best initial bang-for-the-buck mod?

Cobra-R

Established Member

Now if I were going to do some mods, what would be the best initial bang-for-the-buck mod?

Not an expert because I leave my cars stock like they were intended to be, but if I was to do a mod I would add a cold air filter kit and subframe connectors. If I was really crazy then maybe coilovers, torque arm, panard bar, K-member, brakes, roll bar, seats, harnesses, ect. ;)

Congrats on the new car, you will love it. :beer:

Brian

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well I drove home #32 yesterday. No air, No radio, harsh 3.5 hour drive, let me sum up my feelings.......................

:coolman: :rolling: :burnout: :D

Congrats on the purchase. :thumbsup:

Kinda reminds me of my "ride home" only my ride was 3 hours and 10 minutes shorter. I never once had an urge to turn a radio on (even if I had one :) ) because listening to the sweet music that 5.4 was playing was just fine with me.

There is something about these cars!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R
Not an expert because I leave my cars stock like they were intended to be, but if I was to do a mod I would add a cold air filter kit and subframe connectors. If I was really crazy (WHICH I AM) then maybe coilovers, torque arm, panard bar, K-member, brakes, roll bar, seats, harnesses, ect. ;)

Congrats on the new car, you will love it. :beer:

Brian

truth in posting act required and edit:beer:

i HAD to drive my 00r 25 HOURS to get home:D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
truth in posting act required and edit:beer:

i HAD to drive my 00r 25 HOURS to get home:D

Just so you know, Boogie...... the rest of us could have made the 25 hrs in 16 hrs.:beer: :beer: :beer:

18 hr and 1200 miles, I was home with my baby also. (took a wrong turn in Denver, went thru Kansa city instead of Des Moines):shrug:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member

3. I noticed that the passenger side foglights feeds air into the air cleaner...never saw or heard of that before. Anyone else?

Those might go to the brakes rather than the air intake.

Andy M

Established Member
Re: Re: Buying the R

Originally posted by Cobra03
Those might go to the brakes rather than the air intake.
on the 2000 R, since it has no fog lights, those (the outside holes) are just open and the one on the passenger side does in fact feed cold air into the air intake filter.

the inside holes are used for the Multimatic carbon fiber heat shield tubes, which of course help cool the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread