Buying stuff for spring

Sublimize23

Established Member
OK, my Stang is mineral gray as in sig. Barely any swirls, I take good care of it and I keep it as clean as I can using Meg's products, but I want to know that the protection is there. So I want some suggestions for what I can use to protect my paint, I know nothing about sealers, etc. Currently, I use:
Megs NXT wash (love it!)
Megs gold class liquid wax
dilute simple green for wheels and wheel wells
and a claybar before each waxing (about 3 per year).
I prefer to do things by hand, although I do have a dewalt rotary buffer, this one:
dewalt-polisher.jpg

So let me know what to get, I'm open to trying anything.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
For the DeWalt, definitely a finishing pad, polishing pad, and cutting pad to start out with (i'd stay away from the cutting pad until you get used to the rotary).
Also, as far as products go for the rotary, I've had great success with the following (I use the DW849 as well):
-Meguiar's M83
-Menzerna SIP
-Menzerna IP
-Menzerna Nano Polish (PO106FF)
-Menzerna Micro Polish
-ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze

As far as waxes, I'll primarily use Pinnacle Souveran, Collinite, and I love Poorboy's EX-P as a sealant.

Although, the BEST thing you can get is good instruction on how to use a rotary. So far, I have not found one good set of instructions on how to properly use a rotary online (including autogeek, autopia, etc.) My best advice is start with the most forgiving pad with the lightest polish until you get used to it, do a 2'X2' area at a time, work it in until the polish/compound becomes a film, move in a consistent patten at about an inch per second, and don't put too much pressure and do not hold the pad in one spot.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
If you have never used a rotary, dont get any where near your car with it.

get a hood from a wrecked car and mess around.

Scott P

Established Member
How is your comfort level with the DeWalt? If you are confident with it, I'd go right for Menzerna SIP and Nano Polish or Intensive Polish and Final Polish. After that, I'd go with a sealant like EX-P. It should be in stock in a week or so. Optimum Opti-Seal would also be a great choice for a sealant with protection. It is a wipe on, walk away sealant, so it's extremely quick to apply.

If you want to stick with working by hand, go with Poorboy's Polish with Sealant. It has very good protection on its own, or can be topped by the EX-P or Opti-Seal mentioned previously.

Sublimize23

Established Member
I used to use it when I was a detailer at a body shop after school.. about 3 years ago. Like I said, I'd rather not use it. Hell, i'll even sell it to someone if they want it.

Thanks Scott. Do you have the poorboy's polish and sealant in stock? I want to top whatever with a good wax, I only like to wax a few times per year.

Scott P

Established Member
Polish with Sealant is in stock. I'd stay away from waxes as toppers as they might mute the metallic a bit. EX-P (not in stock yet) would be a good choice as a topper as would Opti-Seal.

One exception would be Optimum Car Wax. It is a polymer/Carnauba blend and goes on really easy. It is a spray wax that has very good looks and durability. I know you said you only like to wax a few times per year. With OCW, you can wax in the same amount of time it would take to quick detail your car.

Sublimize23

Established Member
Scott,
Where is the polish with sealant? Is that 1 product, or 2? Now, the next question, what's the best way to apply all of these. I have plenty of MF. I use the target vroom brand towels, no tags. Seems to be really good for my purposes.

edit- Nevermind, I found it.

danponjican

Established Member
I usually do sealants by hand. Sometimes I'll break out a cheap DA with a blue lake country foam pad on it to speeds things up but the only benefit is making things go quicker and that it spreads it more uniform and thin. Nothing wrong with applying any of those sealants by hand with a regular foam applicator though.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Pick either a sealant OR a wax; don't bother with both.

OptiSeal would be superb choice for your color; or if you want a tradition wax...Natty's Blue or Red.

OS will make the metallic pop and shine and leaves a very wet looking surface.

Users who are viewing this thread