Buying new car, first time advice?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I got sandwiched in a 5 car pileup last week. The deceased car was a POS civic I bought quickly to replace a decent civic hatch I had stolen about 16 months ago. I like smaller cars, and just need a point A to point B car so I'm pretty set on a Fiesta ST. That will get the job done and be fun to drive. I test drove one at a Ford event 3 years ago. Anyway, I found a leftover 16 locally, spec'd exactly as I want, platinum white with recaros, so basically fully loaded.

$26,515 MSRP
$4,974 Dealer Discount
Sale Price: $21,541

There's a similar leftover 16 but black, 3 hours away and they are asking 18,995. Someone suggested I haggle based on total OTD pricing and 22k for the local white one would be damn good.

What possibly things could come up that I'm not aware up? Are they going to try to push some extended warranty?

Financing, I'm going to put a big chunk down and do the rest at 0% for 72. With my credit score, this will be zero problem.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Is the black one EXACTLY the same for options? If not, no point in comparing the two on price.

Don't let them push anything on you like the extended warranty, just say no or I'll think about it, you usually have a short amount of time after purchase to go back and buy the warranty.

What is the sales tax rate where you are ? $22g out the door might be tough. I just bought a vehicle and wanted to be out the door for $25g plus trade, it came to $25.5g plus trade, close enough imo.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
They just dropped the price last week another 700 bucks on their left over year old st. How low can they go?

I told Kevin to start at 22k and go no higher than 23k otd. I think he wants the white one, plus it's closer to him.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Is the black one EXACTLY the same for options? If not, no point in comparing the two on price.

Both fully loaded, white costs $495 more.

What is the sales tax rate where you are ? $22g out the door might be tough. I just bought a vehicle and wanted to be out the door for $25g plus trade, it came to $25.5g plus trade, close enough imo.

6%, so $1,200 on 20K.

AAG

Established Member
Financing, I'm going to put a big chunk down and do the rest at 0% for 72. With my credit score, this will be zero problem.

I'd hold off and that big down payment and use it to make money. Makes no sense to put it towards a 0% loan on a car that heavily depreciates.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'd hold off and that big down payment and use it to make money. Makes no sense to put it towards a 0% loan on a car that heavily depreciates.

I'm going house shopping soon, and thus don't want to throw off my debt to income ratio too much. I currently have zero debt and an awesome credit score, so speaking with a coworker who does mortgages, adding $150ish a month to my debt won't affect anything. Adding $350 is a little different.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
PM me the VIN's, and your ZIP code and I can tell you exactly what you should pay for them.

Users who are viewing this thread