Buying MPSS (Advice)

03terminat0r

Established Member
About to pull the trigger on some MPSS tires but worried about "the wobble." Is this anything to be worried about?

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Don't know what speed you gotta hit to find the "wobble", I have pushed mine through the gears to 110 and not felt anything wobbly. I am very happy with them in So Cal climate on a daily driver.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
About to pull the trigger on some MPSS tires but worried about "the wobble." Is this anything to be worried about?
I've never heard of any "wobble" problem with MPSS.

FWIW, I made multiple 150MPH-160MPH passes at a (1/2 mile) drag event last month and experienced NO problems at all, including any "wobble." Tires have been on the car for almost 2yrs and 6K miles.

Hourigan218

Established Member
What's your power level? I don't have much wobble. But when it does it at about 130. Have had them checked but are perfectly balanced. Traction is so so at best. I'm at over 820 rwhp. I'm about to switch to the toyo's r888. Just my 2 cents

Hourigan218

Established Member
The Mpss should be good for your power and needs. The wobble issue is some yes some no. Another friend of mine is running a boosted boss with about 700 whp and no issues. And like I said I've have minimal wobble.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The word "wobble" appears in that thread many times but, in the end, I think I see only one person (Siscakidd) who said they actually experienced the problem. I'm not discounting that report (or Hourigan218's in this thread), but their experiences seem to be the exception to the rule, rather than the rule. FWIW, I have a friend in the local Shelby Club with a 2014 Super Snake making just over 800RWHP who's running MPSS, also with no problems.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I've been running 275/295 setup since April '14, right before the 50th. Been on road courses, regular driving and multiple hard pulls and high speed romps on the street. I've had no issues (wobble) at all. When these are done, I'll be putting another set on. Night and day difference over the stock GY's.

Kel

Established Member
Where are you guys finding the MPSS 295/275's? They've been out of stock at Discount Tire since last summer. If you change out the rears only, should you just keep the stock GY's on the fronts?

Imatk

Established Member
I have the MPSS and I get a slight (very slight) wobble around 70-80 mph.

I noticed it about two weeks ago and it's really not enough to even notice except I just happened to see the wheel vibrating slightly.

I love LOVE these tires though.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Where are you guys finding the MPSS 295/275's? They've been out of stock at Discount Tire since last summer. If you change out the rears only, should you just keep the stock GY's on the fronts?

I'm getting a replacement 275 on August 13 from DT. They have been on back order though. I have a set of the rear 295's I'm taking off to replace with R888 315's. I got my MPSS full set last year about this time.

1971mach1

Established Member
Norton...... there was several of us that had a high speed wobble on that thread. Mine was around 130 but it stops after that . it only happened with MSSP'S. But I still run them.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Norton...... there was several of us that had a high speed wobble on that thread. Mine was around 130 but it stops after that . it only happened with MSSP'S. But I still run them.
Thanks for the clarification, but I don't see any posts from you in the referenced "Yet another MPSS Tire thread". FWIW, my comment wasn't aimed at assessing all SVTP members or threads. I simply summarized what I read in the specific thread to which 03terminat0r referred:
- Ky GT500 - "does fine at track events,,no issues... I've run mine hard and never had the wobble."
- Siscakidd - "many of us that have the wobble no matter what the presure is"
- Iceman5000 - "Ive had the MPSS to 130mph in the rain, and the car was solid."
- VFORCEJOHN - "You fellas sure the "wobble" isn't a bent rear axle... Now with new axles, and the same tires....No more wobble."
- shetheri - "I have MPSS 315/35's and have been to 185 MPH with no issues."
- jtfx6552 - "Don't want to jinx anything, but preliminary results are no wobble... Did a 3 day track event at Summit point... no wobble."
Summary = one person reported a problem, five reported no problem

Having now also reviewed the "Wobble under hard acceleration" thread referenced by 99SSls1, I see a number of folks report similar problems that may or may not be related to the use of over-sized and/or higher load rating MPSS, suspension, temperature, or some combination of all the above.

Again, I'm not discounting reports from anyone who has the problem, but there are a lot of us with MPSS who don't and for that reason we tuned out of the 15-page thread a long time ago. MovingZen makes this point in post #252. Notably, Van and BMR Tech point out multiple cars being driven hard on MPSS with no issues or reports of wobble. To date, this has been my experience with the MPSS on my car. I hope it stays that way and wish you all the best with yours.

03terminat0r

Established Member
I can't find any mpss anywhere :(
A shop nearby has two 315/35/20 mpss, but I haven't read anywhere that those fit the stock PPwheels.

03terminat0r

Established Member
After reading some more threads I may go with the Invos, 275/35/19 and 295/35/20. I read someone using 275/35 up front, as they don't have 275/40 in sizes, and it seems to be ok. They have 315 for the rears but not sure if they fit the stock wheel. I would like to wait for the mpss and find out if 315's will fit, but I really need new tires.

Another option I am considering is Pilot Sport A/S 3 up front and invo, or another quality street tire in the rear. (Pilot Sport A/S 3 because of the matching stock size like the stock tires unlike the invos)

Just something to cruise in and do some highway pulls whenever I'm caught without my DR's.

Users who are viewing this thread