Buying from Ebay?

Bait

Established Member
Hey has anyone bought a vehicle off of Ebay? I was looking at some Yamaha R6s on there and I saw one and I noticed the price was really cheap. Buy it now for a 2006 R6 with 300 miles- $2900. (question at the bottom)

I emailed the guy asking about it and he responded:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting me about my item 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6, in pristine condition. The price is $2,900.

About the bike: it is in immaculate condition and has no scratch on and hasn't been involved in any accident. The engine runs very well. The bike was always garaged and rarely used. The bike is in showroom condition. The title is clear; it is not a salvage one. I have legal document by which I can transfer the title to your name. The bike is still US registered so you will not have to pay any customs.

The bike is located in Atlanta and I will ship it from here. I will support all the shipping fees.

The delivery will take within 5 to 7 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy). The service has frequent shared container services. It will be insured at the delivery service. If something happens on the road, you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.

As soon as the bike arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 30 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance fees.

ALSO ABOUT PAYMENT AND SHIPPING I WILL USE ONLY EBAY SO WE CAN BOTH BE PROTECTED!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO E-MAIL ME YOUR EBAY USER ID AND COMPLETE NAME AND ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING AND AFTER THAT EBAY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND PAYMENT!

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible. I have reserved the bike for you until I will have your final answer.

Sincerely,
Terry

He says he will pay for shipping but I am in CA and he is in GA that's going to be around $750 or something so that means he is only going to get ~$2k for a year old "perfect" condition bike...

Response to him because I noticed the bike listing was taken down.

Hello,

The vin is JYARJ12EO68000355. I removed the listing because somebody else promised to buy it for the buy it now price and then changed his mind. I want to sell it now without listing it again and paying the eBay fees again. For payment I will use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection and for delivery dasautoshippers. If you agree please provide me your eBay user id and your full name and delivery address so I'll setup an eBay case and start the transaction.

Waiting for your reply!

Sincerely,
Terry

If he sells it without listing it that means Ebay won't back it and he could scam me right? If I get him to relist it would everything be safe? I've never bought from Ebay before.
Also SVT F15O ran the carfax for me (Thanks) and everything looks fine...

Last edited:

drewbhot

SVT member
Established Member
Scam, don't do it. That story had more holes than swiss cheese. I know it seems like a great deal, but he is just trying to rip someone off.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
How could you not think this is a scam? First off, he cant speak english worth a damn and has no grammar.

If you really want to know if its a scam, tell the person you are local to them and would like to come check it out before buying. I assure you they will give you some sort of bull shit.

Juruense

Banned
First he says "use only eBay" and then in a later communication with you he states that he wants to handle the transaction off eBay. Yeah, riiiiiight... :cuss:

derangedazn

Established Member
First of all...that bike would fetch far more than 2900 for a 300 mile R6..that should be your first clue.

Tell him you will have a family located in Georgia come check it out and see what his response will be.

Personally this has scam written all over it. But people have been lucky before and land a great deal. Why fly down there and see for yourself. Plane ticket shouldnt cost you that much.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Yes, it sounds like a scam to me. The price is the dead giveaway! He could get way more based upon his description. Where is it located in Georgia? I am curious since I live west of Atlanta. By the way, I have a 05 R1 and it is an amazing bike!

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
It is a dead nuts SCAM!!!! Stay away. If you have ever heard the term, ' If it sounds to good to be tru, than it is'....use it now.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
He doesnt even have a bike, they are only trying to get you to send the the shipping up front. They will take $750 from as many Idots that will send it. Dont be one of them!!!

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Search for the third party escrow agents that will hold your money for you until you get the bike and then they will forward the money to them. That is what a friend tried before the seller backed out of transaction because he was a scammer.

I believe the guy you are trying to deal with is a scammer. But you could ask him to do the above (escrow agent) and you pay the escrow fees which are about $50.00 - $100.00. If he is a scammer he will run.

blacksvt10th

10th anniversary cobra
Established Member
NO the dude wants your ebay account so he can do all kinds of screwy things...thats why he still wants your account # of of ebay and thats why ebay removed the item. Stay away...

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
Classic Scam. My family has bought 3 cars off ebay. I have encountered several people that use the same responses when I sell stuff on ebay. Besides, $2900 shipped for an 06 R6 with shipping paid is a bit rediculus. The blue book on that bike is twice that. Shipping does cost close to that also. I paid $800 to ship my car from South Carolina in an enclosed car transport. If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

P.S. I would search the vehicles per region. I would try to find the closest one to your area. This way you can drive to where it is and inspect it. We did that with all our car and motorcycle purchases on ebay.

Last edited:

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
sounds like a scam, i have bought ever car i have owned off ebay, but i looked at them before i made a deal. never had a problem with any of the cars i bought.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
"Thank you for contacting me about my item 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6, in pristine condition. The price is $2,900."

The very first sentence was all I needed to see to know it was a scam. The whole sentence seems fabricated for a scammer. I mean, who would respond back to a potential buyer and state that his bike is an "item" and then proceed to restate the model year, number and condition. DUH, don't you both already know that?!?

His sentence should have been better off appearing like this:

"Thank you for contacting me about my item XXXXXX, in XXXX condition. The price is $XXXX."

I've seen many variations of this response when I was shopping around for cars on ebay and craigslist. Post your thread on www.scam.com you'll be suprised to see how common this scam is.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I bought a car off of ebay. there is no question that this is a scam .. run don't walk away

Users who are viewing this thread