Buying first handgun... Need input!

nhancedsvt

Established Member
ok so like the title says i'm loking to buy my first handgun. it's going to be mostly a target/home protection gun so i'm not really planning to carry it. i will mostly be the only one to shoot it but my fiance may some (probably not much). i really like the 1911 but i am just wondering if a .45 may be too much? (i've never shot one so i don't know.) my dad said the last time he shot a .45 it had too much recoil to be fun to shoot. i really have no clue what is good/bad and i know there are some on this site that know a lot about firearms so any input is greatly appreciated! also please add any recommendations for models, calibers, etc....

TexRob

Established Member
Most .45 Caliber handguns do have pretty stiff recoil,is there any particular reason you want a .45 as your first Handgun?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
For home defense a shotty is the way to go. If you are set on a hand gun there are tons of choices. I have a XD40 sub compact for carry and the recoil is fine even with a small gun. My brother in law has a full size 45 and the recoil was lighter than my 40. Some people say the 40 and 9 have a snappier feel and the 45 is more of a thud. Just see what fits ur hand the best and go for it.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Alright bud I will help you out on this one. I am am pretty small guy I am 5'5 and about 155 or so I own a XD 45 compact I have fired a 9mm 40 cal and of course my 45 and so far I love this gun DO NOT listen to anyone that tells you a 45 is to big of a gun because its not the recoil is nothing compared to a 40 it does have more of a push than a snap if that makes any sense to you. If you hold the weapon the right way then you will have nothing to worry about with that being said
http://www.youtube.com/v/ghABbkAi5ts&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghABbkAi5ts&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
this is me so you can see its not bad, and the Kimber 1911 is a bad ass gun so buy it you will love it trust me.:beer::rockon::beer:

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
First thing I would do is visit a gun shop without any notion of a prefered caliber and see what feels comfortable in your hand. Then report back to talk about ballistics, barrel length, maintenance, and needs.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
what was said above, and buy name brand. springer, kimber, colt, any of the big boys and you wont be disappointed. just stay away from shit like "witness" and the like.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I recommend the .45 as the best choice for personal / home protection in a handgun. As far as recoil is concerned, I have never had a problem with it in any 1911, and it is even less with a Glock 21. Of course, I am biased since I grew up with a .45.

If you are really concerned that a .45 is too much gun for you, then try out a .40.

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
For a carry gun, you need nothing more than a 2inch .38 revolver, cheap and you won't be shooting some one 25 feet away in self defense....Plus revolvers do not jam...Kimbers are expensive (I do have an ultra carry II, amazing gun but I would never carry it because when you carry something there is a chance you will lose it/it gets stolen).
For home either a shotgun or revolver, and range Id definitely recommend a 1911 full size .45, they are not a light weight gun like a glock/XD springfield so the recoil is not bad at all.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Your choice of ammunition will play a major role in recoil, as will the size/weight of the gun, and your grip. Some things to consider (I am a .45 / 1911 / Kimber fan and have "a few").

1. A full-size, steel gun will give less felt recoil than a smaller, alloy or polymer frame gun

2. You can buy ammunition using lighter 185 grain or 200 grain bullets, as compared with the "normal" 230 grain bullets. With the lighter bullets, the recoil will be sharper, but may feel less than the push back from a 230 grain bullet. You can buy ammo meant for "bullseye" or "target" shooting, as opposed to self-defense loads. Target loads give lighter recoil. Be sure, if you buy bullets with other than a rounded "full metal jacket" profile that they will feed properly in the gun you buy. A good gun dealer should be able to help you. The 1911-style .45 can be "tuned" by changing recoil spring strength to match the ammunition. Normally, Kimbers have few problems, but all good guns need to be "broken in" with 500 round s or so to function smoothly.

3. Get proper safety and marksmanship training. A firm grip, high up, will help lessen felt recoil.

Don't "fight" recoil, and you will soon find it less intimidating than you may imagine. I have taught many students to shoot the .45, about half were lighter-framed persons. Few had any problem with the .45.

Harry Gilbert
NRA Benefactor (Life) Member
Certified Firearms Instructor

Trueweltall

Established Member
what was said above, and buy name brand. springer, kimber, colt, any of the big boys and you wont be disappointed. just stay away from shit like "witness" and the like.

I own an EAA Witness wise guy. Have you ever shot one? Its not a bad firearm at all. So far I have put 250 rounds thru mine and I picked it up last wensday. Ive got a 9mm(18+1) full size steel in the wonder finish. The finish is pretty durable. It was priced right at 384 from buds.

EAA imports the Witness from an italian company tanfoglio. They are a CZ-75 clone. You can buy conversion kits so you can use your 9mm to shoot .40, .45, 10mm, 38 super, or .22.

Tanfoglio sells parts to other manufactures who make clones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanfoglio_Force

Here is a picture of mine.
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/774/dscn0264hb2.jpg

www.armalite.com
(US importer for Sarsilmaz)

www.cz-usa.com
(US importer for CZ-UB)

www.eaacorp.com
(US importer for Tanfoglio)

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd be carefull making it shoot more powerful rounds than attended. When people shoot +p rounds alot it can break the frame.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I recommend the .45 as the best choice for personal / home protection in a handgun. As far as recoil is concerned, I have never had a problem with it in any 1911, and it is even less with a Glock 21. Of course, I am biased since I grew up with a .45.

If you are really concerned that a .45 is too much gun for you, then try out a .40.

+1

Oh, if recoil is an issue a shotgun would be the last gun you want.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Your choice of ammunition will play a major role in recoil, as will the size/weight of the gun, and your grip. Some things to consider (I am a .45 / 1911 / Kimber fan and have "a few").

1. A full-size, steel gun will give less felt recoil than a smaller, alloy or polymer frame gun

2. You can buy ammunition using lighter 185 grain or 200 grain bullets, as compared with the "normal" 230 grain bullets. With the lighter bullets, the recoil will be sharper, but may feel less than the push back from a 230 grain bullet. You can buy ammo meant for "bullseye" or "target" shooting, as opposed to self-defense loads. Target loads give lighter recoil. Be sure, if you buy bullets with other than a rounded "full metal jacket" profile that they will feed properly in the gun you buy. A good gun dealer should be able to help you. The 1911-style .45 can be "tuned" by changing recoil spring strength to match the ammunition. Normally, Kimbers have few problems, but all good guns need to be "broken in" with 500 round s or so to function smoothly.

3. Get proper safety and marksmanship training. A firm grip, high up, will help lessen felt recoil.

Don't "fight" recoil, and you will soon find it less intimidating than you may imagine. I have taught many students to shoot the .45, about half were lighter-framed persons. Few had any problem with the .45.

Harry Gilbert
NRA Benefactor (Life) Member
Certified Firearms Instructor

this is probably the best advice you can get. one more thing to keep in mind is that with a 1911 you can swap out recoil springs/rods (if applicable) any time. with my kimber gold match polymer i went through 4 springs until i found my best fit of recoil/accuracy.
there is no gun built well enough to compensate for a horrible grip. you can almost have horrible trigger control and sight alignment if your grip is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread