Buying engagement ring online?

joemayo

Established Member
I've been looking at just purchasing a engagement ring instead of trying at the local stores.. zales,reeds,kays.. etc.. Wondering if anybody would trust a seller on ebay. Seller is titanium power seller 3300+ feedback and looks to be a wholesaler.. Would you do it?

RGrossman

Established Member
Be careful with the stones from zales and kays. They are overpriced and trash compared to what you can get elsewhere. Only get a GIA certified stone. There are tons of engagement rings on ebay, but when you limit it to GIA, it drops like 98% of those found.

I just got engaged last month so I had a nice long lesson from my fiancee's best friend who is also a gemologist.

I suggest you use Diamond Prices: Diamond Jewelry Facts, Diamond Tools and Consumer Reports Forum to find your stone and search GIA. I ended up getting a 2.32 carat GIA E color SI1 stone for just under 11000 in a platinum 6 prong setting.

joemayo

Established Member
My cousin works at reeds. She's trying to just make me a ring probably .8 carat.. nothing looking to spend over 3k.. I'll upgrade diamond after wedding.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I got a .8 carat IF, D princess cut diamond in a band with 1 carat weight of diamonds set in the band with a plat. setting for about 5500 at abazais.com

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a 2 ct. VVS1 with .7 ct. pave diamonds for $3200 locally. IMHO, find a local smaller jewelery store who deals only in GIA certified diamonds. In fact, they didn't have the matching wedding band that she liked so he hand made her one by hand (cool as hell watching him carve the mold out of wax) and ordered all the diamonds for a $1000. Local would be my first choice.

I did have a friend get one off of Ebay, and it was exactly as stated(GIA Certified). We took it to a local jeweler lto have it appraised and he said it was a great deal, so it can be done but I would be very cautious.

P.S. For the love of god, buy insurance. I have a separate policy on all my wife's jewelry (watches, rings, pearls). It's through State Farm, same as my car insurance, and costs all of $89/yr. to cover $31,000 worth of appraised jewelry. She already lost 1 diamond so it came in handy!

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I just bought one from a local dealer i have known my whole life (Good friends dad) He only deals in GIA. Got just over one CT. in three stones.

I looked all over at the chain stores and found nothing that i really liked. The prices they have are not that great to what i have seen at local places. Also you don't get the hassel of having to deal. Most the time the local places will tell ya what it is. Not call you back tomorrow trying to get you to come back for 200 off.

+1 On the insurance like junior said. I got mine tied in with my home owners when i updated all the guns and other stuff i have in my house made the rate go up a little bit to cover it all.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I used the internet to check prices, but I felt it was best to have it in hand before I threw down some greenbacks on it.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I would not. You need to look at it and know what your getting. It took me three months of sneeking around to find what I was looking for. Had I not done this then I would not have been so educated on what to look for. Big +1 on the insurance thing too. I managed to attach it to my homeowners policy and the $90 per year is paid through my insurance escrow.

Users who are viewing this thread