Buying Classic Mustang in California - but it's not registered or insured

jrandy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I have a question about a car that I'm looking to buy. The seller (private party) and I have been going back and forth and I'm going to go check it out this weekend. However, it appears as though the car is not registered or insured. Good news is that he does have the title which is clean and in his name. I know to be very wary as you can pay quite a bit in back due fees for the DMV. However, the CA DMV has a calculator that you can search by VIN (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do).

It looks like there are about $700 in back fees for the said vehicle. I will obviously be using this when negotiating further.

Is there anything that I should be worried about? Am I leaving myself open for potential headaches with getting it registered? I assume that I can simply purchase the car, take it to the DMV and pay the fees, and be good to go. Also, both the seller and I are in California.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If the title is in his name, and he has it, then I don't think there should be an issue. Maybe others can chime in though.

nxhappy

Established Member
yea just make sure the vins match on the title/car and it's clean title (box is on the upper right corner on the title) ....also make SURE he smogs it BEFORE you buy it ...ask to see the smog paper

jrandy

Established Member
It's a 1967 so it's smog exempt thankfully.

I went ahead and called the DVM and gave them the VIN to check. They gave me the amount due in back registration fee's and confirmed it's a clean title car.

They reassured me that as long as I have the pink slip signed over to me, have the bill of sale, and the previous outdated registration card, I can register it just fine.

I appreciate the input.

oldmodman

Established Member
I hope that the seller was smart enough to get a "NonOp" registration for the car.

I pulled a car out of service in the mid eighties and filed for a non operated registration. it stops further fees and only costs $10.00

Plus, I could go to AAA and get a one day operating permit, for free. And you get to fill in the operating date yourself. So I would go to several AAA offices over a few months until I had a handfull of the permit sheets (always free) and fill in consecutive days to be able to drive it legally with no smog checks either.

Eventually sold it to an out of state buyer that wanted good clean bones for a restoration. He did not have to pay anything at all extra.

Users who are viewing this thread