Buying car sight unseen tips

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
For those that have purchased a car on the other side of the country, sight unseen, what did you do on the transactional end to get the deal done and feel comfortable about it. I can't just send a check and wait the shipper to deliver. I suppose it is possible to find an attorney, or another trustworthy party, to hold funds, title and key while the vehicle is in transit. Then when I get it delivered and look it over authorize the middleman to release funds.

Any suggestions?

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
For those that have purchased a car on the other side of the country, sight unseen, what did you do on the transactional end to get the deal done and feel comfortable about it. I can't just send a check and wait the shipper to deliver. I suppose it is possible to find an attorney, or another trustworthy party, to hold funds, title and key while the vehicle is in transit. Then when I get it delivered and look it over authorize the middleman to release funds.

Any suggestions?

well there are members on this site all over the world. Why dont you see if any of them live near the car you want to buy and can take a look at it for you?

SVTSuperDuke

Established Member
I can have someone look at it for me. The problem lies in the forking over the money and relying on someone I don't know to ship it, in the same condition, and worrying it it will even get to me after the money hits the bank

Use an escrow service or fly out and drive back.

I did not know an escrow service could do this. I will check into it.

there was a thread on this a couple weeks ago i believe.

I will try to search it out but I have not seen anything focusing on the exchange of currency and merchandise. Most of the issue has been on getting someone to look, touch and drive the goods.

Butter pants

Pfffffft !
Established Member
This is exactly why I flew down and drove it back. Shipping companies will charge more to pick it up on site vs. at a depot, and more to top load on an open carrier and even more for enclosed trailer. They also will charge for specific dates for pick up and drop off. The normal pick up and delivery can be weeks or longer if you use an actual carrier and not a broker, they can be worse. FWIW the company I liked to most and almost used was DAS transportation. http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread