Buying car out of state, transport with no tags?

Formula51

Established Member
I live in SC and bought a 68 Torino GT Vert from a guy in FL. There was not time to mail title and go to DMV after wire transfer before driving home this weekend. Do I drive it without tags or put on a tag from one of my other vehicles and bring that vehicles registration and insurance?

I will have the Torino signed title and bill of sale with me in the car. Was thinking I could make a paper tag and say something like "Purchased 3/3/19"

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Insurance and registration are separate things. Typically when you buy a car you are instantly insured for up to 2 weeks or 30 days...even if you don’t call your agent to add the vehicle to your policy. Plates on the other hand can get you into hot water. I suggest you call AAA in your state and see what they recommend. They may refer you to a AAA in the selling state.

I brought a vehicle from a PP in Ohio and I had to get a temporary plate in Ohio for the drive home. I think it was about $6. Worth it to me.

Oh - and PICS AND DETAILS OF THE TORINO GT VERT OR BAN!

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Last time I bought a car from out of state, I had it insured, and put on a plate I had on a previous car to drive it home. Drove like that from Kansas City, MO to Michigan no problem and then had to use the car to drive back out of state for work that week without plating it. A sheriff happened to drive through a rest stop and ran my plate (lowered and tinted BMW 335i) and it came back with nothing. He waited for me to get back on the highway and pulled me over. I explained the situation and had all the documents from the sale of the car and insurance. He explained that putting on another plate was a felony and then let me go. YMMV

buffalosoldier

Established Member
Pizz off the wrong guy and you may never see that car again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Most DMV's will issue a 10-30 day temp transfer tag for just this reason.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
If you are gonna do it, take one of your plates with you.

termcobra281

Established Member
Lol funny story for you guys. I went all the way to NJ from WV to pick up a 03 cobra borrowed dudes tags to drive it home.. ok so as I am driving I notice the driver rear acting funny like it was kicking out on me so I pull over in the belt way to check the tire and sure enough it was the lugs about to come off finger tight and here comes a policeman with his lights on behind me. So I was scared to death as he was asking all these questions and I told him what was going on he was nice enough to let me use his 4 way to tighten up my lugs ... after that he was like ok your free to go haha lucky me

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Some states offer transport tags

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
In NC you can get a temp tag for 15 bucks for situations like this. If your state doesn't have such a thing I believe driving with no plate is better than driving with the wrong plate.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
you can get into some trouble if a leo runs the tags and finds the plate belongs to another vehicle that you willingly and knowingly changed. Your insurance co. can give you a binder on the vehicle immediately though.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
My thought was that if I was driving safely, obeying the speed limit and had a tag I may not get a second look, but if the law got behind me and I didnt have a tag, Im toast.
The car will attract attention tho.

Recon

Established Member
I had a family friend at a local dealer produce a temporary tag for me when I got my Roush from Boston. No issues bringing back to KY.

Pick your poison.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
The faster you drive, the less time you have to get scanned and pulled over.

Food for thought.

(Same logic applies to deer season. Faster = less time for a deer strike)

Users who are viewing this thread