Buying an overhead dvd system for SUV

Elliotness

Established Member
Does anyone have any guideance on what DVD system to put into my wife's brand new gas guzzlin 2005 Expedition.

About a week ago my wife and I went shopping for an SUV. She wanted a used Navigator or Denali. On the way to delerships we stopped and looked at an 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition MSRP 41K. Dealer offered us 7K of rebates. Then my wife says I wonder if my brother can get us a better deal. He's a Ford mechanic.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

I don't know why she didn't tell me earlier when I was buying the Cobra. Would have saved me a boatload of cash.

Bought the Expedition for 27K with D-plan. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I need to buy an overhead DVD system. I've narrowed it down to a "directed" 12" from bestbuy $999 plus install or an "Alpine" 10.2" $1200. The Alpine is smaller but the resolution is 1.3 million pixels per square inch...... The directed had an excellant picture but I'm not certain about screen resolution.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

Lampy1978

I Got Worms
Established Member
I have an Audiovox DVD system in my Pathfinder. I had them put in the headrest simply because you loose your rearview when the screen is down. The video is awesome. I had a local shop install them that was recommended from the dealer. Best part is that they did a super clean job and it looks like it came right from the factory. Also, get the wireless headsets with the system. That way the little brats can watch Barney and you can still play the radio.

Hope this helps!

hoamskilet

Established Member
Can't help ya with the roof system. I put a couple of Innovatek screens in the headrests of my 98 expy. Only cost a couple hundred bucks total, was a pretty easy job, and it looks good. But that's just me, and I wouldn't let anyone besides me install anything in my rides (I enjoy doin it, and i don't like other people touchin my stuff ;-) ) Good luck with whatever you decide. Smokin deal on the truck by the way...that's awesome.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Where are you located? Ive done doezens upon dozens. From your basic 7" to 2 15.4" side by side in a Tahoe.

The directed is very nice. Thats what we do here. I havent seen the Alpine, so I cant comment on it. Concept is another brand I have done pleanty. They are great products at a great price, with quality the same as the higher end brands. Used to do the 15" with headphones, DVD, RF mod, etc for $1100 installed.

Elliotness

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys... I think I'm going with the "directed" I saw one at Bestbuy yesterday. The video is awesome. The player also has some really nice features. The player can be removed from the housing and used as a standalone dvd player in a hotel room. It also has slots for plugging in memory cards from digital camaras and built in software for viewing images from the cards.

I will bet that the Alpine is a better quality screen, but I do not like two piece systems. I like the systems that have the player in the ceilieng along with the screen. IMO they are much cleaner.

FordMustangLove said:
put it wherever you like, just dont run me off the road

Easy bro. I'm not mounting it for me to watch while I'm driving. You sound like my dad....

Dad, "Why do you need a video system in your car? You are just going be distracted and get into an accident."

Me, "Because I have to take 5 twelve year old boys to basketball tournaments that require 12+ hour trips. Do you remember how I behaved on long trips?"

Dad, "Yes I do, (mocking) Are we there yet? Can I drive? I'm hungry? I need to go to the batroom?"

Dad, "A video system probably would have saved you many smacks to the hind quarters, suck for you huh?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to get that dvd system in before the San Antonio tournament. Ten hours on the road with 6 twelve year olds is going to suck. The wife has a conference that weekend and has volunteered me to drive half the team. She said she'll take care of the Cobra while I'm gone...... BAAAAAA haaa haaa.

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
Buy your kid the new Sony Portable PlayStation....games, movies, pics etc....and have the other kids bring their own shit to keep them satisfied.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I have the factory system in my Avalanche. Some of the new headrest setups are SWEET. My mother just picked up a new RX330 and had to headrest setups install for the little ones. They each can watch their own DVD at the same time. Awesome picture quality. -Mat-

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
P1010045.jpg

:D

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
we had an overhead DVD player installed in our Murano after we got it.. sure makes waiting in the car for my wife when she's shopping at the mall go by much faster..

Users who are viewing this thread