Buying an '03 with mods???

dizzygoat

Established Member
Im currently looking at a 2003 model lightning, it has a 4lb lower, catback exhaust, FTVB and 4x4 pan. Its also been tuned using a chip, forgot what kind.
Only thing is im going to buy sight unseen since its damn near cross country from me. Is there anything i should worry about, especially since its been stored for soo long at a time. it only has 8,500 miles on it and never raced. An older individual owns it, so i feel secure with buying it, im just afraid mostly of it being stored improperly or has a bad tune.
what you guys think?
Also if someone is in Kansas id be willing to send you $100 to take a good look at it for me.

Brad
also im trying to get this done this week since my gto is being sold tonight :(

Last edited:

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Hell, you could get a Flight to Kansas for $100. Go see it yourself on a day off or something. I bought my truck with a 2.80 upper, lowered and a catless exhaust.

Best buy I ever made. Its rocking strong at 40k miles later.

01 Cobra

Whine "O"
Established Member
can the guy send you pics? i sounds like a legit buy hopefully it is. good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. as far as storage goes if you buy it just change all the fluids and filters immediatly and get it to a tuner to see where the tune is at before you start beatin on it.

dizzygoat

Established Member
only problem is im DEATHLY terrified of flying, i dont think i could fly if my life depended on it. The guy might meet me halfway, but thats still a helluva drive. If i did go get it i was gonna bring a fuel and oil filter and change the oil before i brought it home.

EDIT:eek:r i may negotiate for him to take it to a shop and have all the fluids and filters changed before hand, especially if hes gonna drive the truck halfway to meet me.

Last edited:

dizzygoat

Established Member
thats fine, but alprolozam doesnt make me a super man and save my body from being crushed and torn to pieces if the plane crashes. I just cant put myself in a position for something like that to happen. i know i know a little dramatic but i am really scared of flying. Ive flown from texas to alaska and back 3 times since i was a kid, but i dont wanna push my luck.

EDIT: alprozolam(xanax) however you spell it.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
thats fine, but alprolozam doesnt make me a super man and save my body from being crushed and torn to pieces if the plane crashes. I just cant put myself in a position for something like that to happen. i know i know a little dramatic but i am really scared of flying. Ive flown from texas to alaska and back 3 times since i was a kid, but i dont wanna push my luck.

You will be ok, fly up and go get that Lightning

Black02SVTL

#746 of 4726
Established Member
It sounds legit to me. With it only having 8,500 miles on it, you should be fine. Its cool that he told you it was modded and what was done and that it was tuned. Ask him for the hand-held keypad, its probably flash tuned.
If the seller is willing to drive that's also very cool, you sound like you've got one hell of a deal going on. If you could find a member nearby willing to check it out for you that's even better, but if not the fact that he's willing to ride in it that far to sell it to you tells me its unlikely its a track whore that's been thrashed on every weekend that's about to die. I wish you luck and if all goes well welcome to the club.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member

Just fly up there and look at it. Your chances of dying are much greater driving over 1,000 miles. Have you paid attention to how many idiots are on the road these days???? My girlfriends Dad is the vice president of Southwest Airlines and I assure you they take great care in their aircrafts safety. The FAA has very strict regulations on everything. You will be fine. I used to be afraid of heights and my dad bought me a skydive. I have since done over 500 jumps and am still afraid of heights unless I have a parachute on my back haha. Now go buy the damn truck :beer:

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
That Lightning sounds like it is worth the chance of dying in a horrible fiery crash. Not too many around with such low miles anymore. Suck it up and go get her and drive her back :D Matt

dizzygoat

Established Member
its actually near the border of iowa, southwester iowa to be exact.
i thought he lives in kansas but it was his son, the truck is in southwestern iowa.

whats a reasonable price for the truck?

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Just fly up there and look at it. Your chances of dying are much greater driving over 1,000 miles. Have you paid attention to how many idiots are on the road these days???? My girlfriends Dad is the vice president of Southwest Airlines and I assure you they take great care in their aircrafts safety. The FAA has very strict regulations on everything. You will be fine. I used to be afraid of heights and my dad bought me a skydive. I have since done over 500 jumps and am still afraid of heights unless I have a parachute on my back haha. Now go buy the damn truck :beer:

can you swing me 2 round trip tickets to vegas in june???? LOL

BillsSnake

I am an older individual and I press hard on the loud pedal all the time. Take the time to fly out and drive the beast before you give this devious bastard all you money

dizzygoat

Established Member
i know i agree with buying stock as well, but just like others stated just cause it is stock at the time you buy it doesnt mean its always been stock.
Its not like this truck is heavily modded. I spoke to the gentleman on the phone and he knows what mods are on the truck, but his son is the one who installed them and gave him the idea of what to put on the truck.
He said its never been to the track, but of course he's stepped on the "loud" pedal some but not everywhere he went. With only 9k miles i feel confident this truck is in tip top shape.
Oh and upon conversing with this individual i feel confident that he took VERY good care of the truck and is not deceiving me in any way.
Thanks all for your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread