Buying an '03 Cobra - Noise questions

speedoflife

Established Member
Hello everyone. I am looking at a 2003 Cobra with 55,000 miles on it. It has what I measured to be a 2.9" (or whatever is closest) pulley with a tune and a Bassani cat back. Those are the only engine modifications to the car. I have thoroughly inspected the car for signs of previous modifications, but there legitimately seems to be none. It seems to be in great shape and has a lot of nice interior work. Boost seems to max out at 13 PSI which I have gathered to match the pulley increase. Dyno put the car at 428/425, which works for me!
I have collected as much information about the car as I can, including a Carfax, which shows the flywheel being resurfaced, a radiator hose replacement, an oil filter adapter gasket repair, oil pan gasket repair, and some exhaust repair as the only listed shop visits besides routine maintenance.
Everything seems to be in order from my perspective. I have both driven and rode in the car. My concern here is that oil pan and system has had issues before. I don't know how much of a problem that could become in the future or if the problem has already been fixed and I won't have to worry about it.

My primary concern, however, is the noise that comes from the engine. I have done a lot of research on the tick associated with these Cobras. This sound does not seem to be that (build date on the car is 11/02) sound, but I would like some third party input if that's possible. I suspect that it could be the TOB, input shaft bearing, or pilot bearing. But honestly I don't know. Here is a link to a video of the sound. I apologize for the talking in the background.

th_IMG_1927.jpg

Quotations from the Carfax:

40,000 miles - Brakes checked.​ Oil and filter changed.​ Exhaust pipe seal replaced.​ Flywheel/​flexplate serviced.​ Flywheel resurfaced.​ Muffler replaced.​ Oil pan gasket replaced

47,000 miles - Cooling system checked.​ Antifreeze/​coolant flushed/​changed.​ Antifreeze/​coolant checked.​ Thermostat replaced.​ Oil and filter changed.​ Engine oil filter adapter gasket replaced.​ Lower radiator hose replaced.​ Battery/​charging system checked.​ Battery cable terminal end​(s)​ replaced.​ Computer​(s)​ checked

Sorry for my long-windedness, I just don't want to make the wrong decision and drive away with a time bomb. Any input from the more experienced Mustang owners would be greatly appreciated! If you have any questions, please post them up.

Other information - car has never been tracked, 3 total owners, asking price is $19,000

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm sure the car has been tracked...how many cobra owners don't go at least once...

As far as the sound it sounds like TOB. Easy way to tell is to put light pressure on the clutch, if the sound goes away it's the TOB. Could be as easy as a freeplay kit to take the pressure off.

If that's not stopping the noise it could be as simple as a pulley bearing going out. If it has factory pulleys I would recommend changing those whether it's the problem or not.

Blueline

Established Member
That's not the "head tick." Did the noise change if you pressed and released the clutch? It does sound like it is the clutch/flywheel assembly.

speedoflife

Established Member
I'm sure the car has been tracked...how many cobra owners don't go at least once...

As far as the sound it sounds like TOB. Easy way to tell is to put light pressure on the clutch, if the sound goes away it's the TOB. Could be as easy as a freeplay kit to take the pressure off.

If that's not stopping the noise it could be as simple as a pulley bearing going out. If it has factory pulleys I would recommend changing those whether it's the problem or not.

Touche, sir. I completely forgot to mention that the noise does indeed go away when the clutch is depressed and does not alter in intensity or frequency with throttle modulation.

It might have been tracked, but nonetheless, I know that the current owner has not tracked it. He stated that the previous owner claimed to have never tracked it as well.

Another point to mention is that the current owner is going to take the car to PSI Motorsports here in Texas for a pre-sale inspection per my request. The shop has this to say about itself:
"PSI Motorsports is known for selling and installing performance upgrades on some of the fastest Ford vehicles in Texas.

PSI Motorsports employs highly trained technicians with years of experience in the performance industry. All of our technicians are certified by Ford Motor Company.

We are NOT just "parts changers" like most of our competitors. We design custom packages from the ground up using our numerous years of performance vehicle modification background. We only use the parts that work. We are not here to sell you parts that can't back up there claims like most of our online competitors. "

Hopefully they will have some insight into the condition of the vehicle as well

edit: PS - pictures are incoming! Waiting for the post to be approved by a mod or admin, whatever the case may be.

Last edited:

NewDuuude

Established Member
Clutch fork?
My tranny rattles at idle and is quiet with clutch depressed

speedoflife

Established Member
Getting a compression test and full inspection done by the shop. I'll post results.

Last edited:

speedoflife

Established Member
Got the compression results: 175 in all cylinders, which is awesome! I assume the noise is the TOB, but I'm still not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the car so hopefully it won't be anything more severe!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
My first concern would be that interior...God Bless America that is not my style, but rock on if you love yellow!

The link to the video is not working on my computer, but the wiring and vacuum lines look "messed with" in my opinion...i.e. things don't look exactly in the right place and in the right configuration as if someone put a different blower on it and then put it back to stock, which is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it is done right. The bolts on the blower pulley are extremely rusted...WTF? Additionally, the engine bay is pretty dirty...most Terminators at that price have at least been moderately detailed before sale, especially when a degree of attention (or extreme degree in your case) has been paid to the interior. In my opinion, this the engine bay looks rode hard and put up wet.

I can't hear the noise you are talking about, but tranny noise is very typical of a T-56. Get some CobraBob shift gaskets.

$19K (In my opinion) is a little steep for a mid-mileage Cobra that may/may not have been messed with. I paid $19K for mine with many fewer miles in unmolested condition about four years ago...

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Dude thats the tob mine makes that exact noise when clutch dust gets built up on it. About once a month i pull off the fork cover and shoot some pb blaster or wd40 on it while its spinning. Makes it nice and quiet so i can put off pulling the tranny till winter.

Now with that said... HOLY S#%T thats alot of yellow!!! I never understood how someone could put that much effort into the interior but leave the engine bay looking like it came out of a house fire.

Jensanity

Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks all the cylinders having the same compression seems weird? I have honestly NEVER seen all 8 be an identical measure?

mrose75

Established Member
Holy Yellow Cobra Batman!!! Tone it down a bit!!! I can appreciate customization as much as the next guy, but the owner of that probably has his house painted yellow, analyzes the color of his urine, has a tattoo of the bee from the Cherrios box, and wears Spongebob underwear. WTH? I don't think anyone needs to be reminded that that is a Zinc Yellow Cobra. "In case you missed it when you walked up to the car, I've had the entire interior done in piss yellow!"

No offense to the OP.... Hope you like Yellow, tho. I mean, REALLY like yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks all the cylinders having the same compression seems weird? I have honestly NEVER seen all 8 be an identical measure?

LOL, Was thinking the same thing but, I was'nt gonna completely poop on his parade. I would ask to see it for myself.

speedoflife

Established Member
The compression test was done by the previously described shop and I did see the written results that stated the cylinders tested 175. I'm sure they varied some but that was the printout from the shop. It simply stated they measured at 175 so I'm sure there was a slight amount of unstated tolerance between the the cylinders. They said it was "one of the quietest cobra engines" they'd heard (with respect to the tick).

I'd be interested if you'd elaborate more as to how the engine looks messed with besides just the pulley and intake. The engine bay is pretty dirty I agree. It's been in humid areas mostly as well (S. Texas).

Good that the sounds seems to be the TOB as I can take care of that. Hopefully that is all!

As far as yellow goes, I'm not a huge fan of the color myself but it honestly looks great in person and the car doesn't look overdone in person. Except the trunk. I don't understand that at all but hey who ever looks in the trunk?
Luckily between the 7.1 billion of us there will always be something for someone!

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
What i meant was the engine bays looks as if it has never had a hood over it. Dirty,pasty white-ish, and faded. Just seems like someone that put that much effort into the interior would have poped the hood a time or two and cleaned it.

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Oh.........My..........God. :poke:
Yeah, uh huh, you know what it is
Black and yellow, black and yellow

Everything I do, I do it big
If you love yellow OP this car is for you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread