Buying an '02 Focus SVT

highonpsi

Established Member
The car has 116K km's (72K miles) I test drove it and it makes a lot of rattle noises, found out it was exhaust related (pushed up on the exhaust and there's a rattle noise from the part that goes over the crossmember) and heat sheild bolts are rusted away completely on the header so it rocks back and forth. The tranny seems fine with normal driving (or granny shifting), but when going full throttle, it grinds from 2nd to third if shifting quickly. Or If downshifting from 4th to 3rd at higher speeds, it grinds when going into 3rd gear. I had my mechanic open the tranny drain plug and drained a tiny little out and it looked quite dark and we did notice tiny bits of shiny metallic inside of it.

In previous cars I've owned sometimes if gears were grinding, gm syncromesh would fix this, is it possible in the SVT? Or you guys think the 3rd gear syncro is shot? Another thing I've been reading is that there some kind of counter balance thing with the shiter that MIGHT cause something like this, but wouldn't it make it do it in all gears not just one?

Last edited:

SVT_Trout

Established Member
I saw that no one replied. My advice would have been to walk away and find another one. What did you end up doing?

highonpsi

Established Member
I ended up not taking it. I am leaning more for a more powerful car. ONly reason I considered it was cause I could have gotten it dirt cheap.

highonpsi

Established Member
I want either a v8 with a manual or a turbocharged car. Maybe even a sleeper that is pretty cheap like an Altima 3.5SE with a manual. (I used to have one and it was a highway beast). I saved up money to open my own business, so need to buy a cheap car (but still like performance) So it hasn`t been easy to find the right car.

SVT_Trout

Established Member
7-8g's will buy you a nice car. Hell, I would sell mine for that. You can get a decent Mustang or a built T-Bird for that much if you want a V8. Also, Mark VIII's have cobra motors if youw ant a little more luxury.

highonpsi

Established Member
Just hard to find those kind of cars still in good shape. In Toronto we use so much salt in winter that cars deteriorate in a few years unless the person took really good care of the car or washed it regularly, kept it in a garage ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread