Buying advice for 2003 Cobra Vert

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
I currently have a 2001 Cobra. Looking to make the move to an 03 vert. Found a zinc yellow with 39k miles. Car has not been registered in 3 years but always garaged and I am being told it has been driven around the neighborhood a couple of times each week. Should I be concerned that it hasn't been driven that much over the last few years?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
that's a long while of not being driven/registered. why was it sitting?

sitting that long can be bad for internals with possible rust and moisture build up in the engine, trans, clutch.

id def have a trained ford tech that will look it over well and do a compression test and also sample the oil and look for water or other issues.

top may be brittle and could possibly leak.

all rubber on the vehicle maybe dry rotted (tires, hoses, belts)

sounds like a great deal on one hand but on the other you need to really pick it over and id highly recommend making sure that the top don't leak as that is an expensive repair.

also sitting sometimes causes fluid leaks of oil and such.

just my .02 cents

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
that's a long while of not being driven/registered. why was it sitting?

sitting that long can be bad for internals with possible rust and moisture build up in the engine, trans, clutch.

id def have a trained ford tech that will look it over well and do a compression test and also sample the oil and look for water or other issues.

top may be brittle and could possibly leak.

all rubber on the vehicle maybe dry rotted (tires, hoses, belts)

sounds like a great deal on one hand but on the other you need to really pick it over and id highly recommend making sure that the top don't leak as that is an expensive repair.

also sitting sometimes causes fluid leaks of oil and such.

just my .02 cents

Thanks. Apparently it was his sons car and he is not around anymore (not sure what that means). He previously owned Meineke muffler shops and his other son still owns one of them. Part of me would like to think he knows better than to let it sit too much and drove it enough to eliminate these problems. But, I am somewhat of a newb when it comes to this stuff so I am being cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread