Buying A Set Of Rims Online Through Wire Transfer?

04YellowGT

Established Member
Anybody ever bought anything online through wire or bank transfer? Is it safe/ is there any protection if I didn't get the rims? I found a set of 20" Explorer Sport Rims on an Explorer Forum. I talked to the guy and the price is a really good deal. They're brand new, his wife didn't like them so he put something else on her Sport and just wants to get rid of them. He wants to do a wire transfer of the money. I feel pretty comfortable doing it and asked him to write me up a bill of sale for the rims that way if I send the money and don't get the rims I could go after him.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Joyrider564

Established Member
Go through PayPal, and pay the 3% fees. It's a better way to cover your butt if there are any issues with the transaction.

Ablaze

Established Member
What they said above me. Don't send a wire, don't send a gift via Paypal. It isn't worth it. It never is.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you have 24 hours to cancel a wire transfer from what ive been told. after that, youre SOL. and that's bank to bank. if its western union forget it. once done, its done. scammers LOVE western union! at least with bank to bank you have solid, verifiable records of whom, when and where.

sure he'll give you a bill of sale and you can go after him. is it worth it? in another state? you'll have to go after him in small claims court, in his area, and play that game. and then still might not collect. its 100% safe for him and pretty much not at all for you. unless you know him i wouldnt do it.

use paypal and pay the 3%. offer to pay the extra 3% if you really want what he has. use a CC with your paypal to CYA as extra precaution.

oldmodman

Established Member
Just turn the deal around.

Ask the seller to just ship them to you. Then, after inspection, you promise to pay him.

See if he likes that deal very much.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Does the guy have any feedback anywhere?

I have 100% trader rating no matter what forum (cars, guns, etc) or ebay.

Who these days has no trader rating?

LS2GTO

Established Member
You have absolutely no recourse with the money if the deal falls through for whatever reason. A wiretransfer is basically the same as cash in the mail, and you having a "bill of sale" means shit.

Either give him cash on the spot, or use paypal. Otherwise he could run away with the money and short of you driving to his house and beating him up you have no way of getting that back if he bounces.

10splaya22

Established Member
A wire transfer is just about on the same level as paypal gift. Don't do it unless you want to send the guy a present.

Users who are viewing this thread