Buying a new clutch ** need opinions **

Ihearya

Pikey
Established Member
Car: 2003 Cobra

Mods : MAC LT Headers, MAC O/R H-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1Catback, MGW Shifter, JLT Intake, 2.80 upper, 4lb lower, SCT 3 Tuner

Clutch is slipping bad right now, and needs a new one. THe plan is to get the car to around 650rwhp in the long run. Noob flag raised when it comes to which clutch to buy. Any suggestions? :shrug:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I don't know enough about the duals if $ is no object. However you start adding all the stuff, disc,pp, flywheel and tob, that spec dual, in lower pwr rating looks just a lil more expensive than say my 3+ w lpr pp, tob and alum flywheel. The spec dual comes w flywheel and tob.

For the record as I said I have the 3+ w the lpr and alum flywheel, 26 spline input. If I did it again probably get a 16# lightened steel instead of a 12# alum as I drive in town a lot. I get tired of revving it a bit to go off a stoplight. Ppl look u know w my exhaust.

So there u have it a formula, less than gt p/p pressure holds 600+ and is pretty good to drive. We have gone a 10.48 w the spec 3+ so that tweeking imo will make it a better d/d. Spec 3+ w lpr p/p, 16# steel flywheel, add some 450 deg syn grease to spec tob, stock cable w adj firewall adj. and a quick quad. syncromax rp oil in tranny. I really think that will hold ok for your uses.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
I don't know enough about the duals if $ is no object. However you start adding all the stuff, disc,pp, flywheel and tob, that spec dual, in lower pwr rating looks just a lil more expensive than say my 3+ w lpr pp, tob and alum flywheel. The spec dual comes w flywheel and tob.

For the record as I said I have the 3+ w the lpr and alum flywheel, 26 spline input. If I did it again probably get a 16# lightened steel instead of a 12# alum as I drive in town a lot. I get tired of revving it a bit to go off a stoplight. Ppl look u know w my exhaust.

So there u have it a formula, less than gt p/p pressure holds 600+ and is pretty good to drive. We have gone a 10.48 w the spec 3+ so that tweeking imo will make it a better d/d. Spec 3+ w lpr p/p, 16# steel flywheel, add some 450 deg syn grease to spec tob, stock cable w adj firewall adj. and a quick quad. syncromax rp oil in tranny. I really think that will hold ok for your uses.
where this 16 lb lighten steel flywheel at?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I agree, new F/W whatever you decide over resurfacing the stocker, 26 spline I/P shaft, TOB (non CF or FORD), TOB retainer sleeve (not Ford), and I can only recommend against a CF clutch. I recently had one shit a spring and destroy the clutch and swapped out for a King Cobra clutch (flames welcome). I'm extremely happy with the clutch BUT I put down 460hp and never race my car, only dd it.

thelpb

Established Member
I'm running a Fidanza 4.3. It's a 6 puck ceramic. I daily drive the car, rain or shine, and it has 65k miles on it now with about 2500 on the clutch itself.

Considering that it is a 6 puck ceramic, it engages smooth as buttah. Driving the car is easier than stock now because of the pedal lightness with the Fidanza. I have absolutely fallen in love with this clutch and will be buying another one when the time comes. Some people report that their 4.3 Fidanza's chatter pretty bad, and mine did at first! But as I broke it in and got used to it, it became smoother and smoother. It's an outstanding clutch with phenominal power handling (over 700 ft/lbs) that can take the test of daily driving and still perform. Not to mention the price! The only other clutch on the market that I can think of that would be 'better' than this one on every point would be Ram Twin. But of course you're gonna $$$$$$ for that guy.

I actually bought LFPs package that included the entire clutch kit, the alum. flywheel w/ replaceable steel insert, and 26 spline input shaft. Not a bad deal actually.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Car: 2003 Cobra

...THe plan is to get the car to around 650rwhp in the long run. Noob flag raised when it comes to which clutch to buy. Any suggestions? :shrug:

With that much RWHP (and assuming the car will see some track events), I'd recommend a dual disc clutch. It will give you great streetability and will be able to easily launch the car at the strip. I went with the RAM dual disc, but there are several other manufacturers to choose from now (SPEC, Zoom, McCleod, etc.)... :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
A Ram Powergrip HD will handle what you want and be very streetable, mine has survived everything i have thrown at it at the track and drives like stock on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread