Buying a KB2.2. What to look for?

snakezilla

Established Member
A local guy is selling a KB2.2 old style. Its already off the car. What signs do I look for and what kind of test can I do to it? I want to make sure im getting a good blower. Any advice?

Thank you:beer:

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Pay the $45 shipping to KB and the $45 or so for them to check it out for you. This will alleviate any concerns you might have. If you want to check it out yourself, look at the oil and smell the dipstick to see if it's burnt oil. Turn the pulley by hand and see how freely it turns(no clunking, or slack in the back and forward motions of the pulley). Turn it over and check the rotors while you turn the pulley to see if there are any nicks or chips on the rotors. Ask questions, such as how many miles are on the blower, what oil was used(KB recommends redline 50w racing oil), what boost level it was run at. General questions like these will help you to make an informed decision.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Can not agree more with the above post...perfect answer...
My internal seal is bad on mine, has been for a while...it's a crap shoot, but I just keep toppin' her off with new oil and she still screams like new!

black 10th vert

Established Member
My suggestion is don't buy a used blower unless you can see it run before the guy pulls it off the car! Otherwise you may be in a situation like me where now I have to rip my Whipple back off to send out for a rebuild because it is noisy internally like bearings or gears. I would never recommend buying a used blower after this experience because I will likely be within a few dollars of what I would have spent for a brand new blower with a warranty, and it is a pre-gen1 2300AX (which I was told was a gen1 :rollseyes)!:bash:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Can not agree more with the above post...perfect answer...
My internal seal is bad on mine, has been for a while...it's a crap shoot, but I just keep toppin' her off with new oil and she still screams like new!

So you're letting that oil go into the engine instead of staying in the blower? :??:

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
So you're letting that oil go into the engine instead of staying in the blower? :??:

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

You are correct. It needs a rebuild but through my research the 2.2s are inherently known for leaking. I can spend $900 for a rebuild and be in a very similar situation again...:shrug:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...4-kb-2-2-using-oil-where-does-go-exactly.html

Last time I checked the leaking oil just coats the intercooler, correct?

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
You are correct. It needs a rebuild but through my research the 2.2s are inherently known for leaking. I can spend $900 for a rebuild and be in a very similar situation again...:shrug:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...4-kb-2-2-using-oil-where-does-go-exactly.html

Last time I checked the leaking oil just coats the intercooler, correct?

What have you found to be the "average" rebuild interval for a 2.2 that's run on low boost (17 psi or less)?

I really, really would like to buy a 2.2 for my car but I don't want to keep rebuilding it every season or every-other. My car may get driven 2K - 3K miles a year so when I do take it out I want it to be a trouble free and enjoyable time. For whatever reason Whipple blowers don't seem to have the stigma of leaking oil like the 2.2 KB's do. :shrug:

snakezilla

Established Member
thanks for the your feedback guys. I also just like some of you am not very comfortable buying a used blower but I want a 2.2. for my car. If I get the blower off this guy and send it to be rebuilt it will still be under 3k for blower and rebuild. He just took it off his car this week so I did not get a chance to see it running. The seller is in the middle of installing a 3.4 on his car or so he says. It was on the car when it he first posted it for sale and now its off. I might just get it and send it out for rebuild? Its hard to make the call on buying it. When I go see it I will definitely do the test you guys told me about.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you send it out, you may as well have the snout updated to the new style without the catch can. Hopefully you can get a decent price buying it, since you have to factor in the rebuilding cost.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
If you are getting a good deal and really want that model. I'd say buy it and take your chances. You may get a few yrs out of it before rebuild. I bought mine used 4 yrs ago with that thought in mind and still runs perfect. I bought it over internet site unseen. Tough to check a blower from 1000mi away so how much do you trust the guy its a crap shoot really.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
If you are getting a good deal and really want that model. I'd say buy it and take your chances. You may get a few yrs out of it before rebuild. I bought mine used 4 yrs ago with that thought in mind and still runs perfect. I bought it over internet site unseen. Tough to check a blower from 1000mi away so how much do you trust the guy its a crap shoot really.

How much boost are you making with your 2.2?

Users who are viewing this thread