Buying a house

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
So are only certain foreclosed homes stripped like what has been described in here? Also where is a good place to find foreclosed homes at? Are the interest rates the same on them?

Thanks

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Well for me.... I had my realtor only look for foreclosed. There were all kinds of price ranges, but I was looking on the lower end. A LOT of the houses were stripped or damaged.... well the majority. The house we found needs a little work, the worst thing is the carpet needs to be replaced. It was only on the market for 2 days and had 5+ offers.

Last edited:

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
Ya from what I've noticed all foreclosed homes are stripped guess its a country wide thing.And definitely talk to your neighbor's and make sure you can deal with them and they are whack jobs. Take a walk around the area also to make sure there's no undesirable hoodlums or anything.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Anyone got any tips besides shop around? I have been shopping around and found a well priced fixer on the things I want to customize anyway... so the work really isn't a big deal. But this is my first time buying a house... Any tips for the noob?

+1 on the construction inspector. use Zillow.com to see what the homes have sold for in the area recently and stay away from areas that have a lot of forclosures, it lowers your property value.

Termites are huge in CA, get the local pest control guys to look at the house if it's more than 10 years old.

Last edited:

johnwynn

Established Member
When i was looking i saw alot of houses with Mold. Saw a couple that were really nice but you have to look at them as soon as they come on the market and pull the trigger quck if you like it. because they go fast. The really nice foreclosures i saw went for 20K+ over asking. Has anyone looked into a short sale?

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
When i was looking i saw alot of houses with Mold. Saw a couple that were really nice but you have to look at them as soon as they come on the market and pull the trigger quck if you like it. because they go fast. The really nice foreclosures i saw went for 20K+ over asking. Has anyone looked into a short sale?

That happens a lot here...

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Check out the houses around the block and next door. If their trashed or who ever lives their don't take care of their house that could effect the value of your home. Listen for dogs, kids and broken down cars that haven't moved in years. Dogs bark all night, some parents kick their kids out of the house at 7 am and tell them to come back at at night and these are the kids the puck things up

racer94lx

Salt & Vinegar Chips>All
Established Member
Drive around the neighborhood at night. Summer time would give you a better idea of what the actual surroundings are like, but this could at least give you an idea. I really suggest hiring a real estate firm. They do all the leg work & dirty work for you.

ff500

Established Member
A lot of really good advice especially the home inspections and checking out the neighbors and neighborhood.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Make sure your realtor understands your needs. When we were looking for a house to rent, we found a really nice one that specifically mentioned pets were allowed. After we'd applied for the house and were about to sign the paperwork, the owner mentioned he didn't allow cats, and just didn't understand why that would be a dealbreaker for us. The realtor, a cat owner herself, totally understood and was able to get our application fees etc back to apply to the next house.

Our current realtor, now that we're looking to buy, is a fellow car nut, and she understands our need for garage space and space to park a trailer etc. She's done a great job at digging up possible houses for us to look at.
Is her name Liz Hensley?

paxton5.0

Established Member
What is a good home warranty company that someone can recommend that does business in california?

Last edited:

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
Mine was thru HSA out of Madison WI and they were great when my main gas furnace went out (on a Sunday in January) after about 40 days after moving in. They sent someone out the next day and had it repaired. Only cost me my 100 ded.

Last edited:

plkdb

Established Member
I stayed away from short sales because you can put an offer in, not know for 3 months, and find out you didnt get the house, wasting that time.

Find a good realtor that your are COMFORTABLE with, dont sign a exclusive agreement with them.

Check websites such as realtor.com, I used that and others to fwd houses I liked to my agent to help get him onbard more for what we were looking for faster. He would also pull the latest MLS listings and email them to me daily.

When looking for a house, and you go to each house, explain what you like or dont like, your not going to hurt his/her feelings, its not their house, and will help you locate THE house faster.

If you see a house you dont like, leave, dont waste time going through room to room, whats the point? There were houses I would open up the front door, and immediately walk back out.

Get pre-approved for a mortgage, and get your credit score in order, makes you a stronger buyer.

Once you think you have found the house, check out the neighborhood at different times (weekends, nights, mornings, etc.)

Look over the fence. What does the neighbors backyard look like? I live with a HOA, so all the fronts of the houses look perfect, some of the backyards looked like bombs went off.

Get a inspection done, and go through the house WITH the inspector. Your paying for it, and you'll be surprised how much you can learn about the house from him or her.

Negotiate in a home warranty.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

I bought a rental property on a short sale. Had an instant 20-30% equity once closing as over. frankly I would take a short sale over a foreclosure. Do not necessarily focus on foreclosures / resale homes.

I was looking for a house, didn't think I had very good credit (it was fine) and found a house where the builder was paying 10 points (essentially a 10% rebate). I am into my house for 350 dollars out of my pocket. long story but bottom line the day I closed I could have sold the house for less than I paid for it and still made money LOL!

racer94lx

Salt & Vinegar Chips>All
Established Member
Just a bit of info on signing an "exclusive" agreement....If you don't sign a Buyer Representation Agreement with the agency, then the agent cannot give you any kind of advice, price or otherwise. They basically just show you houses. You are considered a "customer" and not a "client". Clients get the best (supposed to, make sure you do if you decide to be a client) service. Customers get just the basics. A good real estate agent will put in 200% to make sure they meet your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread