buying a high mileage Focus SVT

pur pony

Established Member
Well I am in the market for a focus as a spring/summer/fall commuter. I was looking to sell my modified Mark VIII LSC that gets 20 mpg for something that gets 30-35 mpg.. I have really been looking for a 05-07 Focus ST but every one I look at is dented/dinged/rusted/over priced etc. I am also trying to keep my budget to around $5K as whatever i buy I would like to do some suspension mods and wheels on. I drive alot of windy country back roads and I like to play.

Anyways.. to my original question, I have always liked the SVT focus but keep telling myself, thats not the car i "need" since it calls for 91+ octane and does not get me the 30-35mpg im looking for... but I found a SUPER clean ZX5 SVT EAP car for sale.... its on the higher side of miles with 137,000 but its so clean.....

all these updates have just been performed to the car within the last 2 months

- Timing Belt
- Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
- Timing Belt Idle Pulley
- Timing Belt cover
- ALL 3 Motor mounts including dogbone
- OS2 Sensor
- Water Pump
- Serpentine Belt
- Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley
- Serpentine Belt Idle Pulley
- Die Hard Battery
- IMRC Actuator
- Flushed Coolant
- Motorcraft Spark Plugs OE Part number
- ATS DTM Wheels – 18 inch
- Continental DWS 18inch TIRES – less than 115 miles on them
- SVT Shocks/Struts
- SVT Springs

svt_zpscbe04e95.jpg

He is asking $5500 OBO.....

Im torn as I prefer the sedan body style better then the Hatch, and Im looking to cut my commuting costs but this car is just so damn clean!!!!

Im thinking of buying it and keeping it till i find the right ST to purchase and then sell the SVT and I can at least say I owned an SVT focus... lol...

I just dont know if i should buy a car with almost 140K miles on it..... Thoughts/input????

I drive 62 miles round trip each day, but the focus would more then likely be parked most of the winter.

I have had 4 older explorers i sold each with 200K miles on them so i dont know why im afraid of buying one with 140K but.......

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It sounds like most of the items that need taking care of have been. Did the seller have the work done (invoices) or do it himself? All that work would probably come to more than half of his asking price, so that's kinda odd.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the mileage if the work is good.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
If it drives well it should be a great car since most problem areas appear to be done and it looks really clean.

Keep in mind that the SVT is a quirky little car and it does best with a hands on owner or someone that can afford to pay for upkeep. Certainly hard to find anything as fun on a windy road anywhere near this price range.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I should also mention that for a well maintained SVT 137,000 miles is nothing, there's plenty of these running around with over 200k on them and they still run perfectly.

pur pony

Established Member
i hear alot of people say they are quirky cars, what type of upkeep do they need and what makes them quirky? Im very hands on and maintain and service all my vehicles. What i dont know or dont have the tools for a very good friend that does.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Timing belt has to be done every 90k, the stock tune is shizophrenic so if you don't have a custom tune the car may behave quite differently from one day to the next.

It has a lot of unique parts on it that are becoming hard to get and due to it's unique systems it can have difficult to diagnose issues.

Mine has been my daily driver since 2004 all year round in Minnesota and it's never failed me once, best car I've ever owned.

Some people just expect perfection from a car and if that's what you expect in an SVT you'll be disappointed.

If you expect a nimble, fun to drive, peppy little car then it should tick all those boxes.

I love mine :beer:

pur pony

Established Member
ya, its a nice looking car... its funny though.. he is the 2 and 4th owner. He sold the car and then bought it back. Talked with him the other night on the phone for a while, seems like a nice guy.

Users who are viewing this thread