Buying a Handgun...

SONICBOOST

Established Member
I am looking in to getting a CCW permit so i can buy a handgun. Just to use for recreational reasons (shooting range) and stuff like that, i have always wanted to get into it but never have. I have been researching but was just wondering if any of you guys with some experience could help me out picking a first handgun thats nice, but not super expensive. Also what kind, 9MM, .45? I dont really know, any help would be appreciated. If you guys have pics of your own post em up here! Thanx.

Oh, and how the hell do i resize the pic of my car in my sig??

getrdone

definatly good choinces^^
You sound like you should start with say a 9mm and work your way up. Taurus is also a very good choice. Glock is prob a good beginners gun. simple.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
On a side note my first was
H_455SS4.jpg
The stellar clip saved my gun, I bought some reloads at a show and the casings cracked open/split. but since how they are loaded it didn't hurt anything. I reccomend Taurus and H&K :beer:

criswatts

Established Member
Go to a shooting range and find which one fits you the best. I ened up going with a Glock 21 because it fits my hand well and I like the power of the .45.

AzDropTop

Established Member
My buddy who is a gun nut and has his own gun business said I should get the springfiled Armory XD-40. Basically like a Glock, with all of the 'Glock Problems' taken care off. Gun, Holster and 3 clips for 500.

XD9301bi.jpg

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Look into the Sig Sauer line. This is the weapon that most law enforcement agencies use as their sidearm. P229, P226, and the P239 are all awesome. The P239 is the best choice for concealment and comes in 9mm and .40 caliber.

Glock would be my second choice (the G19, G23, or G27).

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Go to a gun store and Molest all the guns you can. I personaly would tell you to get a .40SW. It's a mix between the .45 and the 9mm and I think it's the best of both worlds.

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Get a glock or an H&K. As for bullet size, I say go ahead and get a 9mm if your are only going to use it at ranges. But if you are going to also use it for protection, then get .40 caliber. The .40 provides better stopping power but is still pretty precise.

Here is what I started out with just 6 months ago(the .40 version):

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=101&SITEID=A&PartNumber=704531

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Look into the Sig Sauer line.
When I decided to get a handgun for personal protection, went to a gun show and picked up pretty much every one there. The Sigs impressed me the most. I got a P232 and LOVE it. Just got my CHL in the mail last week too. I'm an official Texan now. :banana:

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT!
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Look into the Sig Sauer line.
Like a SigPro 2340...balanced, great price ($300 to $400 range), quality, and a .40S&W. You can get the optional .357 SIG barrel and have 2 calibers in one. :rockon:

Also comes w/2 magazines and an extra grip. :thumbsup:

93Notch

Established Member
You have to have a CCW permit to buy a handgun in Michigan?

I would recommend going to a shooting range and renting different guns there so you can see which ones you like. I did this when I got mine, and it helped a lot. You should also be able to take a class on how to use a handgun just as an intro. I had hunted since I was 12 but never used a handgun. I took an intro class and was glad I did. I ended up with a Glock model 23, I shot better with the .357 SIG model, but didn't like the shape of the cartridge (hard to load I thought).

Oh, and for all you gangstas, its a magazine, not a clip.

Users who are viewing this thread