buying a car from New York Got a Question?

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
I am from Michigan and i am going to buy a car on sunday in New York. From what i have heard they have a few different rules then us in michigan. I am buying the car from a person who has there dealer license.

She is telling me to bring a plate, even though it isnt registered for this vehicle. So she can make it a in transit plate for the day. Now i thought putting a registered lic. plate on a different vehicle was against the law. and a felony???????????

Also she is wanting me to pay $175 in "document fee". Anyone ever had to do this?

Thanks ALOT

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Why would you wait till a Saturday morning, the day before you leave, to ask this, when you had all week to call the Michigan DMV and get your question answered with the correct legal answer ? :shrug:

Ask her for her dealer plate and that you will priority mail it back to her the next day after you get home.

Last edited:

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
I just found it last night. I could ask her for her plate. but i dont think she will let me take it. but i will try that.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I just found it last night. I could ask her for her plate. but i dont think she will let me take it. but i will try that.

Ah I see.

I wouldn't take the chance of driving back, getting stopped, car gets towed, etc. or worse, having an accident on the way home and finding out you're not covered.

I would see if the dealer would take a deposit, and hold the car till next weekend so you can find out the legally correct way to get it home.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Ask her for a dealer plate.. dmv is closed on Sunday so she can't make a "transit" plate... which iv never heard of and I worked at a dealership... where in ny? And yes it is trouble to have a plate from a different vehicle... tell her to give you a dealer plate and you'll mail it back... ny has license plate scanners.. if it sees a car registered for a white car and your car is black.. it will notify the officer as for the document fee... all dealers do it in ny... its a way for a quick 200 bucks

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Since you already have it insured and as long as you have all the paperwork I don't see there being any issue getting the car home. If you do get pulled over you'll have the bill of sale to confirm that you aren't making stuff up. The dealer should be able to write up a temporary registration tag anyways.

And as far as the documentation fee goes, just explain to her that if she wants to sell the car, she'll waive the fee...after all, you are driving from out of state to get the car.

-Eric

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
dont get pulled over lol

in PA you can get a transit tag for like 40 bucks, you dont have to be a dealer. Might not be the same in NY.

i dont get why people get all hot and bothered over fees like this. just assume it is part of the price when negotiating and go from there. Now if you negotiated a price and then she sprung the fee on you, tell her to screw off. She should have been upfront about it from the beginning

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
Alright i am going to try to get her to let me use her plate for sure. If she wants to write me a plate as soon as i pull out of there i will take the plate off. The car is in Addison new york.

As far as the fee i was aware of it ahead of time. So i am not getting bothered by it just wondered what the heck it was for. thats all
Thanks guys

BLK93GT

Established Member
No idea what kind of crack she is on. You can get a temp transit plate from DMV, I would not run a plate off another car it is highly illegal in NY as well. The document fee is just something a dealer charges, not all do it.

How to Get an In-Transit Permit (Temporary Registration) to Transport a Vehicle Before the Vehicle is Registered
How to Get an In-Transit Permit (Temporary Registration) to Transport a Vehicle Before the Vehicle is Registered
Question
How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another state to register it in the other state? How do I bring a vehicle I purchased in NYS to another part of NYS to register it?
Answer

At a DMV office, you can apply for an in-transit permit that is valid for 30 days. You can use a NYS in-transit permit to transport the vehicle to another location in NYS or to another state where you will register the vehicle. You cannot use a NYS in-transit permit to transport a vehicle from another state into NYS. Contact the motor vehicle agency in the state where the vehicle is located.

You cannot renew an in-transit permit or get another in-transit permit after the first in-transit permit expires. An in-transit permit is not a temporary registration or an extension to a registration. The DMV cannot issue an in-transit permit if the vehicle is currently registered to you or your registration expired within the last year. Use the current registration or renew the registration. The DMV web site has the instructions to apply for an in-transit permit.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member

BLK93GT

Established Member
That's fine but he wants to do this tomorrow, on a sunday...

Then he needs to get a dealer plate. In NY you might as well drive with no plate, because if you get pulled over with a plate not matching the vehicle you will get in more trouble than having nothing. I know multiple NYSP officers and have had friends get nailed for the plate deal. Totally his call but I'd be waiting until Mon. and do it legit because they WILL tow that car in NY not sure in another state.

Tornbtwentwo

Established Member
So what your saying is that i can not buy a vehicle in new york on a sunday and drive it till i register it or get a good plate. In Michigan you have 24 hours from the time you but it to transport the vehicle. (i believe)

BLK93GT

Established Member
With a dealer plate yes, without one no. And I have no idea why any dealer would tell you otherwise. I can ask someone I know at DMV too but I know it will be the same answer.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
if you have insurance for the car already ( I think I read correctly) why didn't you register for it? If you brought MI plates for the car it wouldn't be a problem but without temp transit plate or MI plates you can't take it. I would be worried if I was the seller and let someone take my plates that are on the car. If you get into an accident the resposibility is on the owner (since you have to surrender your plates in NY to the DMV after its no longer registered)

Monster Mach

Established Member
In ny your ****ed... ny is gay.. do NOT put a plate from another vehicle.. you will get busted... most police departments have plate readers on the back of squad cars.. looks like 2 cameras.. it checks car color along with features of car with the plates reg and whatnot.. be carefull if you do... a dealer pays 2k a year to have a dealer plate... she will lend it to you if she's smart

BLK93GT

Established Member
In ny your ****ed... ny is gay.. do NOT put a plate from another vehicle.. you will get busted... most police departments have plate readers on the back of squad cars.. looks like 2 cameras.. it checks car color along with features of car with the plates reg and whatnot.. be carefull if you do... a dealer pays 2k a year to have a dealer plate... she will lend it to you if she's smart

I can't believe someone that is a "dealer" told someone they could toss a plate on a car and drive it from NY to MI!!!??? :nonono:

The plate scanners scan between 3000-4000 plates per HOUR.Not all cars have it though.Most have 3-4 cameras, front/rear/side

Users who are viewing this thread