Buying a Boat

nxhappy

Established Member
rule number one:

ALWAYS take the boat out on the lake BEFORE buying. And test drive the PiSS out of it. Unless you are buying brand new.

Get a v8, you will want the power, trust me.

Also, it would not hurt to have a mechanic look at the boat, before you buy. Boats are not cars. The stern/v-drive can be complex if you don't know what to look for.

forbanger

Established Member
I've been through 3 boats. If you hate doing maintenance, get yourself an outboard. Easy as hell to maintain.

Got a Hurricane deck boat with a Yammy 200. Love it!!!

nxhappy

Established Member
as far as easy to work on/reliability, I would recommend this order:

jet drive
stern inboard/outboard
v-drive
and lastly outboard

coposrv

Established Member
rule number one:

ALWAYS take the boat out on the lake BEFORE buying. And test drive the PiSS out of it. Unless you are buying brand new.

Get a v8, you will want the power, trust me.

Also, it would not hurt to have a mechanic look at the boat, before you buy. Boats are not cars. The stern/v-drive can be complex if you don't know what to look for.

Good info as well. OP if you're dead set and know what you want get intouch with a yacht broker. They will be able to do nearly everything. From having a surveyor check the boat over, to securing the financing if need be. It's the way too go and they often know of deals that you and I would not know of as well. My dad has had from a searay to blackfin to tiara and a post, he's familiar with boats and he sill uses the service of a broker. In the end the more info the better.

Users who are viewing this thread