Buying a 1989 f150?

Sinnz28

Established Member
I wrecked my daily dirver and need another one.
A friend has a 1989 f150 extended cab with a 302.
everything works on it, it is all power.
What do you guy's think about one of these for a daily.
Do you know of any websites to find parts for it.

Thanks in advance.

DVan8504

Established Member
I dated a girl with that era F-150, and I pretty much hated it. Maybe her's needed work though. It just handled like absolute crap.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
That def an old truck to depend on a daily application IMO....if ya want a truck I'd be looking for a newer used Ranger or something like that!

Unless f150 was like $500.....lol

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I have an 02 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 S/C and it's pretty nice. They're dirt cheap nowadays. i have 120K on mine and runs like a champ, I get 18 to 19 MPG on the highway with the tonnue cover on. I also used it to haul my Cobra from Texas to WI on a car-hauler, and put it in a truck pull. It's one tough truck!

Sinnz28

Established Member
I am a college student with no money. I just need something that will get me from a to b. I like the truck and it is all i can afford. it runs good, everything works and he tells me it gets 19 mpg.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I don't buy the 19 mpg.........

I had a 2002 F150 extended cab with the small 4.6l and didn't get that..........

I don't buy the 19 mpg either, I'm hauling my ass around in a '96 with a brand new motor and don't get that....but I do punch it to pull into traffic.

Sinnz28

Established Member
I am not sure what it gets. I know the truck was taken care of and looks decent. I think the only thing bad about it is the interior it is all red.

almostfinished

Established Member
They have a pretty good platform to them. The 302 is although anemic, do able. I had a 91 bronco with the 302 and did just fine for what I needed it for. The E4OD trans in the one you are talking about (if auto) is a pretty good trans. Just keep an eye out for torque converter shudder. You will know it when you feel it. All in all they are fairly good trucks. The 19mpg isn't completely out of the question either. I know quite a few guys with broncos getting close to 18-19 mpg. I managed a best of 16 mpg hand calc with 33" BFG's. Fresh tune up, timing bump, properly gapped spark plugs and an easy right foot can go along way with a 302. Check out fullsizebronco.com. Great forums site and they have an icon for the f-150's. Best of luck

Nick

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
2x4 or 4x4? They are getting up there in age and miles, but if its decent nothing wrong with it for a DD. If it is a stick check out the firewall, some of them were weak, and would flex the firewall/dash/column when you pressed in on the clutch.

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
I just got rid of my '88. It was old, but got the job done. Mine had the 300 I-6, but it lasted just under 300k miles before I traded up to my new truck.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
I had an 87 F-150 with the 302, It was a fun beater. But it got terrible gas mileage and honestly, had no balls. And mine was the standard cab. I do miss having a vehicle that I didn't care whether it got a dent or paint scratch. And something that I can take off road without hurting anything.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
^^^^ My 95 short wheelbase 5 speed 4x4 did around the 13 mpg mark.. I did drive the piss out of it once, like 90-95 once because I was late on the interstate one early morning, did 17 :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread