Buying 69 Fastback need feedback

lightningfastsvt

Established Member
I am buying a 69 Mustang Fastback -drive trane. What would be the best engine/trans to drop in there to give it a shit load of power? I was thinking of a 427 but i'm open to ideas. Also if anyone knows someone selling a hot rod eng/manual trans, feel free to write.

Dragnut

Established Member
If you want to stay nostalgic I would go with a 428 Cobra Jet but they are getting hard to find. AN alternative would be a built up 351 with a toploader which would also be in keeping with the times.
But to move into the 21st cnetury I would go with a 5.4 and supercharger,ala Lightning. This would be more than enough torque and hp (if thats possible) for a street car to be enjoyable.
I've read the engines are available complete for ~$5500
which is a good investment IMHO :)

If you plan on racing any a stroker 5.0 is the way to go.:D

wheelspin

Established Member
Oh yeah! A Mod motor would be cool as hell if you had the ching. You'd get some serious looks. On the cheaper end the stroker 351 would be hard to beat for bang vs. buck. If it was me, I'd go mod.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
but ya know, there is a good thing with those old motors

everything is do damn simple!

nowadays, computers do evreything..wires.. smog stuff..

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
One of the baddest "period correct" motors would be a BOSS 429. Ford began that project in '69 to have a homologous motor for stock car racing. The factory motors were severely de-tuned but with minor changes, would be twelve second warriors N/A. Quite expensive, however... Cost considered, I'd build a bullet-proof 351 (maybe with a blower), also period correct. IMHO, the '69 MACH1 is the second best looking Mustang, EVER (next to the '96-'98 Cobras :-D).

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
HELL YEAH!!

Originally posted by DREAMKILER
:coolman: 514 crate motor dressed out as 428 w/Mod C6:coolman:

That one would be a little high, but well worth it! Neck snapping power!:burnout:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
but ya know, there is a good thing with those old motors

everything is do damn simple!

nowadays, computers do evreything..wires.. smog stuff..

Tell me about it!, I miss the days when you could stand in the engine bay, with the engine still in the car!

kwiksnake

Established Member
I was thinkning of doing a similar project and putting a fuel injected 392 stroker from Ford in it. MM&FF got that engine to over 500 hp with AFR 185 heads and a new camshaft. I don't think you could really beat it for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread