Buying 03/04 Cobra Please Help

Nik_95Cobra

Established Member
Hey guys, was going to do a stroker in my 95 Cobra but decided instead to buy an 03/04 cobra. Are there any common issues with them? How well do you like yours so far? Any regrets in buying it? Any helpful info you can give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks for the help! :pepper: BTW was silver available in both 03 and 04? And the Anniversary ones, how common are those? Thanks for the help guys!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The easiest way to find out is to use the Search link in the post above and type in key words. There is a lot of info but it is scattered.

Go to my website to find out what colors were available each of the two years.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/CobraProductionNumbers.htm

Ford produced 2,003 of the 2004 10th Anniversary model in three different exterior colors: Torch Red, Black Clearcoat, and Silver Metallic. I wouldn't call that 2,003 quantity a very low number, but it certainly makes that particular model potentially more valuable down the road.

I would personally recommend the 2004 model because some of the issues with the '03 were fixed on the '04. You'll pay a bit more, though. Here are a few of the more common issues with the '03/'04.
* Engine stall (2003 and some 2004s)
* Drivetrain vibration
* Tick (fixed with head replacement/more common on 2003 models)
* Hood paint defects
* Transmission issues
* Drivetrain clunk (some of which is "normal")

There were other issues but these are the ones that come to mind. The bottom line is that the 2003/2004 Cobra is about the best bang-for-the-buck deal going. Fun galore. Easy and relatively inexpensive to push 500+ RWHP.

Try to be sure you don't get a Cobra that has been overly abused or raced. That might be hard since it's fairly easy to hide either. Might be best to buy from someone you trust, ask questions, and look the vehicle over well. An Oasis report is smart, too.

Best of luck!

Nik_95Cobra

Established Member
Thanks, but I'm looking for a silver one. I already have a black cobra which I'll be getting rid of after the new one, and it's too hard to keep clean in the AZ dust. I couldn't imagine mystichrome maitenence lol.

TK Doom

Established Member
Nik_95Cobra said:
I couldn't imagine mystichrome maitenence lol.

Actually, I was quite surprised how the paint looks when it is sort of dirty...still looks surprisingly good.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
eastwood said:
I just got an 03 sliver one. 10k miles.I love it. Only regret is I wish I could have found an 04.
I hear ya but there really isn't that much difference between the two years. Mine was an '03 and I had zero issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread