Buyer beware in sc

GAT72991

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, just posted my intro in roadside pub. I recently purchased an SN95 cobra after several months of searching and wanted to post a buyer beware regarding one of the cars I drove and looked at during my search. Here is the ad:
https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4829035706.html

He recently updated it saying, "the car has been in a minor accident..." BS! I met the guy to look at and drive the car one morning after I got off work...he explained that he was a "Chevy guy
", and he didn't know much about the car because he took it in on trade. I looked at the car and he fired it up, right away I heard an exhaust leak from the BBK long tube and a slight TOB squeal....no big deal I thought, good negotiation point right?

Upon further inspection, I began to notice the red flags. The headlights were new GT headlights, not Cobra. The foglights were new cheap auto zone import ones, he said he swapped them because he liked the look better. The paint was flawless so obviously there had been a repaint. Since we were strapped for time because he was on his way to work, before popping the hood I say take me for a ride.

Once we get in the car, he starts explaining that he and his dad replaced a pigtail harness somewhere under the hood(AC compressor I think) and after they reconnected the battery the airbag light came on...it was throwing a code 52 or something I think. Another red flag. While we're going down the road I notice the plastic knockouts on the steering column are missing-if any of you have ever been hit by an airbag you know you almost never find these after the wreck. Then I see the steering wheel centerpiece fit up is terrible! There are gaps in it on all sides and I notice a running horse on the centerpiece (GT or V6 centerpiece) and it all came together...I knew the airbags had been deployed at some point so I say take me back dude sale is off, I'm not in the market for a wrecked cobra. He acts like he has no idea about any of this, so at the end of the test drive I pop the hood and start nosing around after fingering all of the body lines. The shock towers were extremely beat up and paint had chipped everywhere...I assume someone pulled frame on the car and beat out some dents before the new paint...anyways-the asshole acted like he knew nothing about any of this because he took the car in on trade and it'd just been sitting because he was a "Cheby guy"....whatever ******.

If you're looking for a car to gut and take to the track then this one would be worth dropping a couple grand on, making sure the bags work properly (if there are any at all-i didn't pull the carfax to even see if a certified repair was made because I didn't want a wrecked car) but other than that it's no where near worth the price he has it advertised at.

Hopefully no one ill informed one buys it and gets hurt in it due to airbag issues or a shady repair. I flag his ad on CL every time I see it. Just wanted to give the community a heads up in case anyone is in the market for an SN car and comes across this one.

Users who are viewing this thread