Buyer beware: ESP pricing (Ford direct vs dealer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
it is a subjective opinion. and nice comparison of apples and oranges . No one would "invest" their retirement in an ESP either. To some the piece of mind provided by an ESP is worth a few bucks. to you maybe not. but that is for an individual to decide and there are plenty of factors that go into it that you cannot quantify with math.

by your logic why have automobile insurance? the only winners long term are the insurance agencies, or homeowners insurance, or life insurance, or health insurance, ALL of those are losing propositions, until you need them then they are worth your weight in gold.

You are exactly right! All insurance is a losing proposition. That is why you self insure as much as possible. Only buy insurance on major things that will devastate your financial plan if they occur.

Examples of appropriate insurance:

If I pass away, my young family's financial future would be seriously jeopardized without my income, therefore I buy term life insurance to cover college and living expenses should I die. In 20 years when my term life expires, my kids are out of college, the house is paid for, and My wife will be a multimillionaire so everyone will be fine without the insurance. Everyone but me, of course, lol!

The same goes for a heart transplant or my house burning down: those would have an enormous impact on my world, so I carry medical and homeowner's insurance, too.

Examples of poor 'insurance' purchases:

Extended warranties and service plans - mechanical failures are most likely in the first few months of ownership (infant mortality, which is covered under the manufacturer's warranty) and again at the very end of the product lifespan (wear out period, which is usually after the expiration of even an extended warranty). A major breakdown between those two periods is extremely rare. I would add to anyone with a $60K toy has a ton of disposable income and can therefore self insure through the typical mechanical problems.

Whole life insurance is another ripoff, for reasons related to the discussion of term insurance above.

I apologize to the OP for extending this discussion far beyond the intended topic.

Last edited:

nhs156

Established Member
Don't forget that extended warranty of the premium variety covers electronics, audio and navigation. Those items are more likely to fail with age and use and will cost significantly more than the cost of the warranty to replace. Power train warranty is just a nice bonus but NOT what's driving the cost. Electronics will fail - not a question of if, but when.

Best part of Ford's plan: if I cancel per-term or sell the car w/o transferring ESP, I get the unexpired portion paid back on a prorated basis. Alternatively I can transfer to the new owner and charge more for my car when I sell it. Getting Ford ESP is really a no brainer given the incredibly low cost.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would add to anyone with a $60K toy has a ton of disposable income and can therefore self insure through the typical mechanical problems.
and I would add that this statement is an over gernalization and exaggeration. you haven't a clue what "anyone with a $60K toy" has in the way of disposable income.

Youare certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not trying to change it. But everyones financial decisions are personal and to some buying an ESP makes more sense for more than just a "math" sense.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wish I were one of the ones with all the disposable income. Not everyone that owns a GT500 is rich, some of us just wanted the car and were willing to sacrifice something else in order to get it. I can afford to insure it and maintain it, but would be hard pressed to pay out money for a large repair or costly electronic failure.
I will be getting the ESP before the end of the year, just for my peace of mind.

This wasn't a $60,000 toy, it was a dream.

mullens

Established Member
and I would add that this statement is an over gernalization and exaggeration. you haven't a clue what "anyone with a $60K toy" has in the way of disposable income.

Youare certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not trying to change it. But everyones financial decisions are personal and to some buying an ESP makes more sense for more than just a "math" sense.

Apparently he is not familiar with the workings of a retired cop's salary :lol1:. If I truly had disposable income there would be another car with a horse on it in my garage. Only it would say Ferrari.

Regarding the ESP, I paid $790 for 7 years of coverage. To me that's one alternator or seat motor. Well worth it IMO.

Last edited:

svt662

Established Member
it is a subjective opinion. and nice comparison of apples and oranges . No one would "invest" their retirement in an ESP either. To some the piece of mind provided by an ESP is worth a few bucks. to you maybe not. but that is for an individual to decide and there are plenty of factors that go into it that you cannot quantify with math.

by your logic why have automobile insurance? the only winners long term are the insurance agencies, or homeowners insurance, or life insurance, or health insurance, ALL of those are losing propositions, until you need them then they are worth your weight in gold.
That's the truth! Spend a ton of money on the car, sales tax, ins, mods, ect and not the ESP warranty. Big Mistake in my opinion! :coolman:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I understand the peace-of-mind aspect of transferring the risk of breakdown to someone else. To each his own if you're willing to pay for it. I'm just explaining that it will most likely cost you money to do so. Everyone was trying to find the best deal. The best deal (financially) is to not buy it at all.

If anyone is afraid of a $1500 repair after buying a $60k car, maybe he bought too much car for his budget. I know that "No" is a politically incorrect word in today's society. It may offend some of you. We aren't allowed to say it to others and we certainly don't want to say it to ourselves. Maybe that's why we have such a federal deficit and subprime mortgage bubbles?

I have found that if you say 'no' to yourself long enough eventually you get to say 'yes'. A part of you relaxes when that car is paid for in cash and you have an emergency fund to take care of the unexpected.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
If I had confidence that my dealer would fight for me and not the corporation I would buy one but I am not confident in them. It so sucks to get techinicalled out on something simple so guess I will just not buy one. This is based on my experience with two issues thus far.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If I had confidence that my dealer would fight for me and not the corporation I would buy one but I am not confident in them. It so sucks to get techinicalled out on something simple so guess I will just not buy one. This is based on my experience with two issues thus far.

This is a valid point, your maintenance insurance is only as good as the servicing dealer and his interest in actually servicing your car and when I say service, I am not talking about how one dog services another.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you purchase the ESP just prior to the factory 3/36 running out? What is the cost then?
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I wish I were one of the ones with all the disposable income. Not everyone that owns a GT500 is rich, some of us just wanted the car and were willing to sacrifice something else in order to get it. I can afford to insure it and maintain it, but would be hard pressed to pay out money for a large repair or costly electronic failure.
I will be getting the ESP before the end of the year, just for my peace of mind.

This wasn't a $60,000 toy, it was a dream.
x2. This car was a little bit of a fiscal stretch, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to own one configured the way I want it.

Regarding the ESP, I paid $790 for 7 years of coverage. To me that's one alternator or seat motor. Well worth it IMO.
x2. I'm not usually one for extended warranties, but I also paid under $800 for 7 years worth of coverage. I'm confident we'll see over a 100% ROI with only 1-2 problems which, in 7 years, is somewhat likely. Whether that happens or not, it's a gamble I'm very comfortable taking.

Yes but the price goes up after the first 12 months. Not sure how much more.
I only checking into what happens after one year, but the cost increase at that point was $100. IIRC, biminiLX, you should be able to plug various ages/mileages into the ESP web sites to get an idea of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread