Buy GT500 or c6z06 for DD

Jack Burton

Established Member
Just planning ahead for the future. I would've asked this on a corvette forum...but you know I'm going to get the typical mustang bashing response. We have a more diverse group here that appreciates any performance car. Btw, my current dd is a c5 z06 (my first vette).

Anybody here have a decent amount of seat time with both vehicles? I've never driven a c6 z06, so I'm not sure how that car feels in comparison to my c5 z06. I've driven a GT500 (2007) but only briefly. It had a the typical pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune. Car had plenty of grunt, but it was on stock suspension and 20's. Pulled strong, felt like my old terminator, but the chassis wasn't very confidence inspiring and the car felt floaty at about 100mph.

Those are the two cars I'm planning for as my next dd. I love the look of the GT500, it's very mean and muscular looking. I'm also a big fan of FI so I love the torque down low. I'd probably do mild mods to it and put some bigger tires out back since the stockers aren't going to cut it.

The c6 z06 seems like an animal right out of the box (from what I've read). They also get pretty decent fuel economy for a v8 performance car. I've never driven one, so I'm not sure how refined it is or how the power delivery is.

Just looking for some feedback from people with seat time and what their thoughts are. Would they trade one car for the other and etc...

Not looking for a Ford vs Chevy debate or the ricer argument of "well put $10k and a 1000 shot of nitrous and see what happens" type deal. Just looking for some good discussion.

:beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
What year GT500? If it's a 2011 then I'd say GT500. Otherwise C6Z.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
z06 is not as good for daily driving, worse in rain, less room for storage, not as comfortable ride. If you were looking for performance only then the Z wins, but IMO the GT500 wins for DD.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
I can tell you the Z06 is not practical as a DD due to tightness, ride height, cost of tires etc. Then again, I'm a big guy and track my cars. I'd rather have my 03 for use as a DD. The Z06 gets better mileage though. Over 28 on the highway and 17-18 combined driving. <14 mpg all stop & go city driving though ;-P

LS2GTO

Established Member
Question is, do you wanna just go fast in a straight like or do you also like to drive the car and feel it tight and responsive? If you just like speed, and can swing a 2011 then get that. But if you also like a better driving experience and cannot afford a 2011 GT500, then Z06 anyday.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
Question is, do you wanna just go fast in a straight like or do you also like to drive the car and feel it tight and responsive? If you just like speed, and can swing a 2011 then get that. But if you also like a better driving experience and cannot afford a 2011 GT500, then Z06 anyday.

How do you figure that? A new or like-new Z06 isnt going for cheap money...

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Established Member
How do you figure that? A new or like-new Z06 isnt going for cheap money...

I've been seeing some c6 zo6's in the upper $30's lately. They are gradually coming down in price. I plan on spending in the 30's when the time comes.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
I've been seeing some c6 zo6's in the upper $30's lately. They are gradually coming down in price. I plan on spending in the 30's when the time comes.

How many miles are on a car that's in the Upper $30's?

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Damn... I'm wondering if I should get a Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic for my DD. Tough choice OP... I've driven neither, but the C6 Z06 is my ultimate dream car.

truefiveo

Established Member
IDK if I could afford the insurance on a Z06.

Top notch full coverage for my E55 was $190 a month and that was out of my comfort zone.

Insurance is very expensive here.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Established Member
How many miles are on a car that's in the Upper $30's?

To tell the truth, I don't remember exactly. I think it may have been in the 30 to 40k mile range, maybe a tad more. Not something I see every time I check autotrader, but I see decent deals from time to time. I think they were 06 or 07 model years. I'm sure in another year or two they will be decently priced. Even the older body style GT500's are going for pretty cheap money now, I've seen some in the bottom and mid 30's...but, I'm pretty partial to the looks of the 2010+ style.

2003 Silver

Banned
I've owned both and probably wouldn't advise using either as a dd. The GT500 feels heavy/slow in stock form and the heavy nose wants to plow straight forward when on twisties. The Z is light and nimble with good power in stock form...it is a pain in the ass getting in and out of as it sits quite low.
I love them both for different reasons, but for a dd I would get an SRT-8 Jeep and mod it....I'm biased of course.

06mustangsixer

CalloutsNOLA
Established Member
why not buy a c6z06 as a weekend car and get like a geo or something cheap as the daily... only reason i say that is i have a friend that has a low 11 second supra as the weekend car and bought a geo as his daily because he just needs the essentials like auto, ac, and stuff during the week.. not saying get a geo but you see where im going with this.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

The Z06 is faster in a straight line too. I don't know if I'd DD a Z06, but it is a fantastic car. Being so low, harder to get in and out of, and the expense of tires would get tiresome daily. It does get much better mileage though.

truefiveo

Established Member
The Z06 is faster in a straight line too. I don't know if I'd DD a Z06, but it is a fantastic car. Being so low, harder to get in and out of, and the expense of tires would get tiresome daily. It does get much better mileage though.

I agree I grew to hate my 2000 Camaro Z28!
Wrinkling up my nice club clothes climbing in and out of that thing got old really quick.

Users who are viewing this thread