Butt Puckering Datalog

SNK-BITE

Established Member
So, I get a call from my tuner earlier about putting the mafia on my car. Says to put it on setting 2 and make a 3rd gear pull. So I ask is it ok to make a pull with my current tune after putting on the mafia. Says yeah if it feels good @ 4500 keep going. So I make a pull and I am by myself so I am watching the road and not the air/fuel. Get back and check the log and realize I made an entire pull with a 16.5 a/f.:xpl:

Pull a plug and its bleach white but not damaged, I am pulling the rest now to check. Should I also be pulling a compression check as well? I am really worried I hurt the car. I did'nt hear any pinging but I also had the windows down. Car did'nt pull any timing either, stayed at 22 throughout the pull.

**UPDATE**

Pulled the rest of the plugs and they are all fine just scared white. Still gapped at 32, no cracked porcelain or any other type of damage. I really hope I dodged a bullet on this one.

I did notice a low rpm cruising stumble and I assume its cause the cars not tuned for the mafia. I know its my own fault for not paying attention to the A/F but I am a little pissed the tuner did'nt even suggest sending me another tune to log with.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Ouch, 22 degrees of timing and 16.5a/f is piston melting bad. I'd do a compression test for peace of mind for sure.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Ouch, 22 degrees of timing and 16.5a/f is piston melting bad. I'd do a compression test for peace of mind for sure.

Yeah, no joke man. As I said in the update above all the plugs turned out fine just bleach white, so I really really really hope I dodged a bullet. I will do a compression here shortly when my wife gets back to turn the car over for me.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I'm surprised the car was even pulling and not lean-popping out the exhaust with that AFR. Are you sure your gauge is accurate?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
I'm surprised the car was even pulling and not lean-popping out the exhaust with that AFR. Are you sure your gauge is accurate?

Gauge has been dead accurate. A/F prior to the mafia has been reading 11.3, after it went to 16.5. Maf counts prior were in the 1003 range with a fp duty cycle of 96%. Post mafia they went to Maf 850's and fp duty cycle went to 80% so its definitley lean. Car felt like it pulled fine, didnt hear any pinging. doing compression now.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
why didnt the tuner give you a low timing tune to make pulls on... I would suggest at least asking him next time to send you your current tune minus the timing, that way if it is lean and you dont see it its not going to hurt anything. Once you are sure the a/f is good put the timing back.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
why didnt the tuner give you a low timing tune to make pulls on... I would suggest at least asking him next time to send you your current tune minus the timing, that way if it is lean and you dont see it its not going to hurt anything. Once you are sure the a/f is good put the timing back.

Exactly!!! I specifically asked if this tune was safe to make a pull on with this mafia. I find it hard to believe this tune didnt know I was going to run lean as hell.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Did he send you an updated tune for the MAFia that you loaded prior to the pull?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
So, I get a call from my tuner earlier about putting the mafia on my car. Says to put it on setting 2 and make a 3rd gear pull. So I ask is it ok to make a pull with my current tune after putting on the mafia. Says yeah if it feels good @ 4500 keep going. So I make a pull and I am by myself so I am watching the road and not the air/fuel. Get back and check the log and realize I made an entire pull with a 16.5 a/f.:xpl:

Pull a plug and its bleach white but not damaged, I am pulling the rest now to check. Should I also be pulling a compression check as well? I am really worried I hurt the car. I did'nt hear any pinging but I also had the windows down. Car did'nt pull any timing either, stayed at 22 throughout the pull.

**UPDATE**

Pulled the rest of the plugs and they are all fine just scared white. Still gapped at 32, no cracked porcelain or any other type of damage. I really hope I dodged a bullet on this one.

I did notice a low rpm cruising stumble and I assume its cause the cars not tuned for the mafia. I know its my own fault for not paying attention to the A/F but I am a little pissed the tuner did'nt even suggest sending me another tune to log with.

Can you advise on your car, mods, fuel used and Tuner.
Thanks

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Did he send you an updated tune for the MAFia that you loaded prior to the pull?

No he did not I even asked and he said it was fine with my current tune to do a pull and send to him. Partly my fault for not staying onto of the a/f so I am not posting all the blame on him.

Can you advise on your car, mods, fuel used and Tuner.
Thanks

03 cobra, 30K miles, LT, o/r x, magnaflow cat back, jlt cai, 2.76 with bf idlers. I would prefer not to put the tuner on blast right now so I will shoot you a PM.

Compression test results:

153 145
160 150
155 125
160 130
(L)Front(R)

I have a mild tick in the driver side head so I am assuming thats where the low # are coming from.

watman02

Established Member
ouch the front 2 on the drivers side seem really low to me can you shine a light in the spark plug hole and see the top of the piston is it all pitted? are they any metal flecks on the plugs? or just scared white like you said above?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
No he did not I even asked and he said it was fine with my current tune to do a pull and send to him. Partly my fault for not staying onto of the a/f so I am not posting all the blame on him.

03 cobra, 30K miles, LT, o/r x, magnaflow cat back, jlt cai, 2.76 with bf idlers. I would prefer not to put the tuner on blast right now so I will shoot you a PM.

Compression test results:

153 145
160 150
155 125
160 130
(L)Front(R)

I have a mild tick in the driver side head so I am assuming thats where the low # are coming from.

So 22 degrees timing, and around 15 - 16 psi? What octane was your tune 91, 93,94,10X?
Did you do the compression check on your own? I would like to do the same on my car.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member

Not your fault at all. You absolutely cannot run a MAFia without specific changes to the tune. It will run lean like it did for you. Can you PM me the tuner? I'm curious...

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
ouch the front 2 on the drivers side seem really low to me can you shine a light in the spark plug hole and see the top of the piston is it all pitted? are they any metal flecks on the plugs? or just scared white like you said above?

From what I could see in the cylinders they looked great. Plugs were fine other than being bleach white. I got too those two last so I have the car warming back up right now and I am going to check them again.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
So 22 degrees timing, and around 15 - 16 psi? What octane was your tune 91, 93,94,10X?
Did you do the compression check on your own? I would like to do the same on my car.

93 Octane tune, yes I did the compression myself.

Not your fault at all. You absolutely cannot run a MAFia without specific changes to the tune. It will run lean like it did for you. Can you PM me the tuner? I'm curious...

I appreciate. I have never used a mafia before so I was ignorant to them and tuning. I was under the impression the just extended the scale. Partly my own fault for not doing my own leg work and relying on someone else to know what they are doing.
PM'ing you now

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Went back out after the car warmed up and pulled compression on those front 2 cylinders that were low. Came in at 145 and 152. So all cylinders on each bank are within 5% of each other on said bank. Makes me feel better.

**EDIT**

Wife just told me she didnt have the throttle open while she was cranking so my numbers across the board are probably actually a bit higher.

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Went back out after the car warmed up and pulled compression on those front 2 cylinders that were low. Came in at 145 and 152. So all cylinders on each bank are within 5% of each other on said bank. Makes me feel better.

That is good news.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Just spoke with my tuner. Apparently this whole mishap was caused by a misunderstanding.
When I spoke with him yesterday he did not have my build file infront of him and when I asked what setting the mafia needed to be on to stick it on my car he was under the assumption it had been on there the whole time and the tune was already adjusted accordingly. When he was running through my tune today to try and figure out why I had a high a/f he had no idea the mafia was on the car, and when i reminded him about yesterday he immediately knew the issue. Waiting on a new tune now so hopefully I can finally get the tune dialed in this week.

03Steve

Established Member
Yep, setting "2" will reduce MAF output by 24%. It will effecting fueling, and engine load. The engine load will be reduced and depending on how the calibration is populated, possibly command more timing.

Users who are viewing this thread