Busy Saturday - Grill Inserts

03blackvert

Established Member
I bought some grill inserts from http://www.jmsproductsinc.com for both the upper and lower openings:

PDR_0049.JPG

PDR_0050.JPG

I installed the lower as it came, but I didn't like the way the upper looked when it was installed, nor did I like the way it attached. That's not to say JMS didn't make a good product, they did, I just wanted it different. So, I cut and hacked on it until I made it a bit smaller, and had it attach to the bolts that used to hold the pony. I wanted to get rid of the pony anyway, so it was all good.

PDR_0055.JPG

While I think it does make the looks better, I did it mostly so if a rock comes flying my way I'm not replacing a radiator. :bash: I'm not sure not having anything was the best move on fords part.

03blackvert

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I'm freaking, 03blackvert. It's like you are reading my mind with these mods. The mesh you used looks mean.

I love it! Mean is exactly the word I was hoping for! :beer:

LoCoMotion

Established Member
“Industrial” comes to mind…….looks like “expanded metal“, cut to fit……..:shrug:

03blackvert

Established Member
I think they would actually look better clear coated to match the paint, which is something I will probably do when I have more than the grill inserts to take to the paint shop.

That said, I think if you saw it in your rear view mirror "move over" might be a phrase that came to mind. :)

03blackvert

Established Member
Powercoat might work. As shipped by JMS they are aluminum (so no rust issues) painted flat black. I think I will go with clear coat in the long run.

03snakerush

Established Member
looks good..

Looks good 03! Just had one question, have you noticed any cooling problems like at freeway speeds due to air flow blockage or is it all good? Thanks!

03blackvert

Established Member
I haven't even driven the car since I installed them!

JMS has several patterns, I asked for the one that flows the most air which was the diamond pattern you see. Given how open the mesh is I suspect if I see a cooling problem the car is way too close to tolerances. I might worry if I was road racing in the southwest....but I doubt it's an issue.

I'll report any problems I find, but I highly doubt there will be a cooling problem. My hood blanket mod (see other post) might offset it though.

03blackvert

Established Member
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
Can you post some pictures from afar.

As soon as I have a sunny day and can actually get the car out of the garage I will do just that. I suspect Monday will be the first day, based on the weather forcast. :xpl:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Actually, could you post some details of how you modified the upper grille? I too have the set from JMS, and put in the lower, but balked at how the upper fit. But I didn't yet figure out how to attach it. My upper has the Cobra emblem, which they attached with double-sided rubber, and I added a layer of epoxy 'cause I didn't want the heat to make the emblem fall off.

03blackvert

Established Member
Humm. My upper had no emblem...see the pic on the countertop.

By default, it was an "L" shaped bit, that attached by removing the radiator cover (4x plastic screw fittings) and slipping it between that and the plastic inner grill opening (non painted). I didn't think the plastic screws were strong enough.

So, I measure and cut it off at the height of the inner plastic bit. I had already removed the pony so it was easy. It fits behind the bumper cover, and only touches the inner (grey plastic) insert. It's entirely held by the screws that used to hold the pony bracket. Long story short, it was a straight cut across the whole thing with a hack saw.

The guy who runs JMS is local, and attends some of the same club meetings I do. I have already sent him e-mail asking him to check out what I do and see about offering a product based on my modifications. I know mine could fit better, you only get so close on your first try.

ArkangelX3

Established Member
Heres are some pics of how it installs:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37829

Jays will also have my Eleanore scoops done this week or next. I stopped by his place yesterday and saw the Aluminum mold. Its gonna look pretty good. Pics when available. I had a powercoated grill that didnt work very well, cause of the car sitting for awhile, and rust developing. Even with the powdercoat, if you drive it often, you will get chips and rust in it. The Aluminum is much better, although the diameter is a little bit bigger. All in all good grills!

ArkangelX3

Established Member
Which emblem do you run, Cobra or Pony, not that it matters, but yes you can use the emblem!

Users who are viewing this thread