Busts stick to innocent drivers

jean

Established Member
I was stop last year and the policeman let me know that my last offense for not wearing a seat belt was in 1992!!!!
I know why know:

Busts stick to innocent drivers
Justice - Some crimes can be wiped clean, but any traffic arrest goes on your permanent record .
Sunday, February 24, 2008
SUSAN GOLDSMITH
The Oregonian Staff
Lance Briggs was a month into his new job at the Oregon Lottery when a sheriff's deputy stopped him for speeding, then arrested him for allegedly driving under the influence after a sobriety test raised suspicions.
Briggs wasn't intoxicated, it turned out. He blew zero on a breath test at the Polk County jail, and a urine sample, sent out that night, came back negative for drugs. Officials never filed charges of any kind.
None of those details mattered.
Two weeks later, the lottery summarily fired Briggs. Though he hadn't been charged with a crime, let alone convicted, agency officials said Briggs was required to notify them about the mere fact of his arrest.
The 22-year-old didn't consider a mistaken traffic arrest a reportable offense.
"I've been penalized for doing nothing wrong," laments Briggs, who is now studying at a Christian school in Montana to be a missionary. "I feel like I'm living in a Third World country."
Briggs had a clean record, but the incident put him afoul of a little-known Oregon law: Once a traffic arrest goes on a driver's record, it stays there forever -- even if there isn't a subsequent charge or conviction.
By contrast, the law allows people found guilty of burglary, attempted kidnapping and a host of other serious criminal offenses to wipe their records clean -- a process called expungement -- if they meet certain conditions.
But drivers like Briggs who never were prosecuted are stuck. Some told The Oregonian that their job prospects suffered. Others said they resent having an indelible blot on their records, even if an arrest had no other effect
"There's no reason this should be on my record," said Danny Sauter, an Oregon State University student pulled over in 2006. He also was arrested and accused of driving under the influence, tested negative and was never charged.

All the story at:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1203818108178780.xml&coll=7&thispage=5

How many others states have the same law?

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
We don't have that here, almost all traffic violations are off your record within 5 years.
-Speeding tickets and other minor violations(seatbelt, faulty lighting, etc) goes off after a year without any other offenses.
-OWI/DUI goes off after 5 for the first offense, 7 for the second(If I recall correctly)

I believe crimes such as burglary, and the like(and worse) are expunged after a time period determined by the courts.

Personally I just had my record cleared yesterday since it had been a year after my most recent speeding ticket(80 in a 70 ~$102).

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
We don't have that here, almost all traffic violations are off your record within 5 years.
-Speeding tickets and other minor violations(seatbelt, faulty lighting, etc) goes off after a year without any other offenses.
-OWI/DUI goes off after 5 for the first offense, 7 for the second(If I recall correctly)

I believe crimes such as burglary, and the like(and worse) are expunged after a time period determined by the courts.

Personally I just had my record cleared yesterday since it had been a year after my most recent speeding ticket(80 in a 70 ~$102).

the arrest will always show up on NCIC.

Dusten

Established Member

Off your record and off your driving record are way different

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
I'm going off what the officer told me, my speeding ticket didn't show up 6 months after I got it on my driving record when I got pulled over for exhaust. So I'm guessing when he told me that my record was cleared, he means everything. My insurance company does random checks on us at the shop, so I guess I'll find out when/if my premium goes down in June.

I may have misunderstood what he said, but it was the Captain of the State Patrol that told me my record was clear now.

Users who are viewing this thread