Business Tax Advicce... (buying a truck)

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Guys, I know this is kind of out there, but I figured someone on here might have an idea. I'm contemplating picking up a 3/4 ton truck and possibly a trailer to use for long pulls with the towing business that I work for. I am considered self-employed (read: 1099), and write off as much as I can every year.

We don't do a ton of long calls, but when we do, it's big $$$$. I've been using my employer's (guy that owns the company) truck, and it's a true turd. It has to be plugged up year-round, and the trans is about toast. He doesnt like to spend money on stuff until it just falls apart. This bothers the shit out of me, and really makes me second guess driving that truck any long distance, for fear it will leave me on the side of the road, with a customers car behind it.

What I'm contemplating is an F250 (would prefer a 99+) extended cab or 4dr, with the 7.3 PowerStroke. The reasons for this are that they are pretty common, are pretty reliable, and parts are fairly easy to come by, as well as more folks know how to work on them than they do the cummins stuff (not to mention the cummins parts are outrageous).

I'm trying to figure out whether to bite the bullet and buy a fairly nice truck and make payments, or just sell the F150 and buy something older/cheaper for cash, and make it work. I know very little about diesels, as far as working on one, but I feel a 3/4 ton truck that I'll be pulling with on a fairly regular basis would need one, mainly from a fuel consumption/power/reliability standpoint.

How does the tax stuff on this work? I've never attempted to write off a vehicle before. Would the write-off be enough to offset the payments/insurance? Would you guys do it?

Thanks!

ff500

Established Member
I would talk to an accountant, I know with my company van its depriciated over 5 years, I also use my van for 100% business so I get all my milage. I know for 2009 you could have written it all off at one time instead of over 5 years if you purchased a new vehicle, I don't know if that extends into 2010.

There's been a lot of changes in the tax codes it is well worth the expense to find yourself a good accountant and have them do your taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread