• Aftermarket bushing with a 10.5 slick

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Other....then what?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03VenomBite

Established Member
I went to the track this weekend for the first time with my 03 Cobra. I have been to the track only one other time and it was with my 88 fox. So I'm still pretty new to the strip. But I know that my car is a lot faster then the times I got this weekend. My best was a 13.16. I have a 2.8 pulley with tune from diablosports handheld. No dyno around here and I did the pulley swap Friday night and finished it 1 hour before hitting the track. The car did 414 rwhp power before the pulley and I also put on an Accufab sbtb. I have nitto 555r's that are very bald now and maybe were alittle past there prime for the track. I was told that the elevation is high where we are and the weather was humid and 90+ in the shade both days. A friend of mine said that his datalogging said the track temps were 160+ or so, I think! I had very bad wheel hop in most take offs. I could not leave the line higher than 1500 rpms, and would spin at the top of first. I should note that the event that I was at was held by some local tuner shop and the track owners didn't put down the sticky shit more than twice or groom the track at all.

So what I was wondering is what bushings do I need to buy to help stop the wheel hop and can I run a 10.5 slick on stock half shafts? I know that I will need to upgrade the clutch and a 26 input shaft. Anything else? All advice and comments are needed and appreciated!

I also have sub frame connectors and the BF brace.

Thanks
Pete

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i'd say get some decent tires on their and find a better prepped track under better conditions before you start chasing parts. i have almost identical setup as you and my car does not wheel hop, especially with the heavy 10.5" rims on.

i've made about 3 passes in the car (all with the wimpy 9" rear rim with bald 275 nittos) and i ran 11.88 at near 119.5 mph. I just basically left off idle and feathered the throttle out (1.97 60ft). Zero wheel hop and the bushings are factory

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-GK8yL3_8"]YouTube- ‪'04 cobra at hrp‬‎[/nomedia]

03VenomBite

Established Member
I had 16 passes this past weekend and didn't even think about slipping the clutch, I would just lower my rpm's on the take off. So I think I will try slipping and then try to leave at idle and feather the pedal! Thanks c6zhomobre

03VenomBite

Established Member
Even if your running all stock with a slick I would like to hear about it! Are you happy with it and if not what would you change?

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Pete,

Whether the car has wheel hop is going to largely be a function of the rear tire. The stiffer the sidewall, the more likely you will have wheel hop. The more grip the tire has, the more likely you will have wheel hop.

A drag style tire has a sidewall that is much softer than a typical 40 series street tire. Because of the soft sidewall you might not get any wheel hop at all. If you run on a street tire that is really worn out, it may be so hard that there isn't enough grip to cause wheel hop.

If you want to completely stop the wheel hop under all possible conditions, you must replace any bushing that allows rotational compliance of the rear upright in the IRS. You must also replace any bushings that allow the IRS center section to rotate the opposite direction in reaction to the drive torque.

Basically this means, the subframe to frame bushings, LCA and UCA bushings and front and rear IRS center section to subframe mounts.

This would be the minimum bushing kit required:

IRS Rear Grip Package - The Basics, 1999-04 Cobra [MMRG-20] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

This kit has bushings for the UCA, LCA and the tools for installation.

The kit below has these bushings, plus the subframe bushings, IRS center section bushings, outer tie rods to bumpsteer the IRS and the tools for bushing installation:

IRS Rear Grip Package - Street, 1999-04 Cobra [MMRG-21] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

These are just two examples of kits we have available to deal with these problems.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I ran mine for the first time two weeks ago on street tires and went 12.9 @113. Idle lauch and had some traction issue but am on stock rear suspension (except lower springs). I have a set of MT et streets that I used on my last stang. I will give them a try but still think I can get 12.6 with street tires and practice. With the MT's am going to be easy hoping not to destroy my axles or input shaft.

03VenomBite

Established Member
I ran mine for the first time two weeks ago on street tires and went 12.9 @113. Idle lauch and had some traction issue but am on stock rear suspension (except lower springs). I have a set of MT et streets that I used on my last stang. I will give them a try but still think I can get 12.6 with street tires and practice. With the MT's am going to be easy hoping not to destroy my axles or input shaft.

Thats what I was hoping to find out by putting up this thread to see what anyone was running for a setup with their slicks! I have posted this in 4 different areas and have got a few different things to work on, but nobody has really said if they have the stock axles or after market half shafts!:shrug:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
From the advice that i was given if you run slick on stock bushings, it is best to use a "soft" slick. The MT et streets I have have alot of flex in them so it will minimize wheel hop. Not saying that you should rev it up to 5 grand and dump it, but you can get away with more agressive launches. If you use a slick with a stiffer side wall, you going to get wheel hop and that is where you will break that axle. As for the input shaft, not really sure how much it can take before gives on any kinda slick. I guess it really depends on how my TQ your making and how agressive your launches are. I am going to try my slicks in steps. First launch at 3300 rpms (probably bog) and work my way up to 4500 rpms but I don't want to go any higher. During all this I am going to have a buddy film my launches and see how bad wheel hop is if any and what rpm seemed to work the best. Adventually I am going with spherical bushing (god it will be noisey), IRS brace, and subframe connectors. Good luck in your quest and let me know how it goes for you dude

Last edited:

03VenomBite

Established Member
Pete,

Whether the car has wheel hop is going to largely be a function of the rear tire. The stiffer the sidewall, the more likely you will have wheel hop. The more grip the tire has, the more likely you will have wheel hop.

A drag style tire has a sidewall that is much softer than a typical 40 series street tire. Because of the soft sidewall you might not get any wheel hop at all. If you run on a street tire that is really worn out, it may be so hard that there isn't enough grip to cause wheel hop.

If you want to completely stop the wheel hop under all possible conditions, you must replace any bushing that allows rotational compliance of the rear upright in the IRS. You must also replace any bushings that allow the IRS center section to rotate the opposite direction in reaction to the drive torque.

Basically this means, the subframe to frame bushings, LCA and UCA bushings and front and rear IRS center section to subframe mounts.

This would be the minimum bushing kit required:

IRS Rear Grip Package - The Basics, 1999-04 Cobra [MMRG-20] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

This kit has bushings for the UCA, LCA and the tools for installation.

The kit below has these bushings, plus the subframe bushings, IRS center section bushings, outer tie rods to bumpsteer the IRS and the tools for bushing installation:

IRS Rear Grip Package - Street, 1999-04 Cobra [MMRG-21] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

These are just two examples of kits we have available to deal with these problems.

Hey Jack I don't know how I missed this but thanks for the info I was wondering about a kit so I will check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread