Burp/help

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I was burping the system after filling the overflow and noticed that the cap was leaking as I am refilling, never noticed that before on other burps....does this mean the cap/seal has gone bad(and needs to be replaced) or is it supposed to relieve the pressure there anyway......and would that cause me to get new air into the system?......and what is the next thing to check to make sure the entire system is not taking on any more air?......no mixture in my coolant or oil so Im hoping the Head Gasket is ok......

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Where were you filling from the crossover?

If the overflow cap is leaking and the crossover tube plug is removed then its a bad seal on the overflow cap. The system cant build pressure with the crossover cap removed.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
yes the cap was flowing out as I was filling the open crossover.....

is that where the air is getting into the system potentially too?.....and can I just pick up a replacement cap at the dealer?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've heard that a substantial overheating situation can warp the sealing surfaces. Try a new cap since it's the cheapest, but it can be the degas bottle (overflow) "rim" that is warped.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
nice surprise, stock item cap at the Ford dealer for $11....and talked with the Cobra Tech briefly and he said very slim chance of Head gasket or anything major....but he is gonna pressure test it.....are you ready for this......no charge...

he remembers me from a visit a year ago and said he loved my car and wanted to help....cant argue with that....

Users who are viewing this thread