Burnout ?

Venom04

Established Member
Stupid question but I'll ask. What gear do you guys usually do your burnout in first or second. I know this seems like dumb question but I see alot of terminators doing burnouts with no or little wheelhop. I have the worst time in this car trying to do a nice long burnout especially in first.:shrug:

BurnTire

Established Member
Venom04 said:
Stupid question but I'll ask. What gear do you guys usually do your burnout in first or second. I know this seems like dumb question but I see alot of terminators doing burnouts with no or little wheelhop. I have the worst time in this car trying to do a nice long burnout especially in first.:shrug:

I use second gear. I use ET Streets which will never wheel hop.
I also have the hurst line lock.

Johnny Vig

Addicted to Power!
Established Member
I do mine in first, because I would figure the clutch would heat up a lot quicker doing the burnout in second gear. You do have to get the rpms up if you are gonna do a burnout in first. Not as easy as it seeems, it took me a few practic runs to get the drag radials to spin and do an effective burnout. Just my 2 cents.

p.s. no line lock for me

dogmush

Established Member
I use second, it puts more heat in the Nitto's for me. But I also have a line lock.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
used first w/o a line loc but will be getting a line loc soon and will use second for the et streets come this spring.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I've only done one burnout which effectively destroyed what remained of my Falkens (got new ones coming for Christmas) and rear pads. I had to practice it a few times. Dumped the clutch around 4000 in first, smacked on the brakes and held the revs around that rpm. I think a 2nd gear burnout would be much more effective for heating/smoking the tires but the amount of pad wear and clutch wear would increase dramatically.

//My first M6 car

BurnTire

Established Member
Jumping on the brakes is hard on the car, rear brakes and posi.
Line Lock is not that expensive and I recommend installing it if you go to the drag strip.

dogmush

Established Member
wiltshp said:
Can you get one of these for any car? Do they work on both manual and auto?

Yeah it's a sylinoid (sp?) that goes in the front brake lines so that it keeps pressure on the front brakes after you let off the pedal. There's a couple of kits or you can just buy the sylinoid and plumb it yourself. I have one on my Cobra and my GT.

wiltshp

Established Member
dogmush said:
Yeah it's a sylinoid (sp?) that goes in the front brake lines so that it keeps pressure on the front brakes after you let off the pedal. There's a couple of kits or you can just buy the sylinoid and plumb it yourself. I have one on my Cobra and my GT.

How does it release? Does this just save the little bit of rear brake pad you burn off while doing a burn out?

dogmush

Established Member
Heres the install on my GT. The Line Loc is the little round silver thing with the three stainless brakelines going to it. It's a Summit racing Line Loc that I plumbed myself.

HPIM0347-1.jpg

HPIM0348-1.jpg

dogmush

Established Member
wiltshp said:
How does it release? Does this just save the little bit of rear brake pad you burn off while doing a burn out?

It's electric. When you let go of the button it releases. It saves brakes and clutch.

wiltshp

Established Member
dogmush said:
It's electric. When you let go of the button it releases. It saves brakes and clutch.

So you hold it down, mash the gas, and let go when you are ready to start moving forward?

dogmush

Established Member
wiltshp said:
So you hold it down, mash the gas, and let go when you are ready to start moving forward?

It's more like: Hit brakes, hold button, release brakes. Front brakes are now locked, rears are free so do what you want with the gas/clutch. When you release the button front brakes let go.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I have tried a few burnouts in my car. The first 2 times I tried in second and kept stalling the car, so gave up and ran the car. Then I tried one in first and it worked much better.

Users who are viewing this thread